Discussion Latest Windows update 3.5 & 4.8 for 1909

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
This update has been causing issues with my desktop apps and programs. If I am running Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music, or sometimes have an internet browser open my desktop locks up. Everything slows down. Getting task manager opened takes minutes. Once it is open it takes several minutes to close programs. I spent about 15 minutes getting all my programs closed and I attempted to restart through the desktop but nothing happened. Then I tried to shut down and still nothing happened. After half an hour of getting the programs closed and restart/shut down not working I used the restart button. I did the update June 2nd. This happenes at least once a day since I did the update. I have heard that people are having worse issues. Drivers are dissapearing, audio is messed up, and some are loosing data. Today I was playing music using Tidal and I paused playback. I came back 10-15 minutes later and my desktop was still open as it should be. I hit play and boom I have a brick. I didn't even try this time I just did a hard restart and now I'm removing this update. The only reason I updated in the first place was because windows was having issues staying in sleep mode. If I put it to sleep within 3 minutes it would wake itself up without fail. The update fixed this small issue, but I rather go back to the PC waking itself up than to deal with these hang ups.

gardenman

Splendid
I hope the update removal went ok. After you are done removing the update. put the PC to sleep. Immediately after it wakes back up, open a Command Prompt (run as admin) and type in:

powercfg -lastwake
This might give you an idea as to what woke your PC up.

Example:
Code:
C:\Users\UserName>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB\4&1ada0aa&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB Root Hub
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)
This means a USB device was the last thing to wake my PC up. Which would be when I pressed the spacebar on my keyboard earlier to wake the PC up.

A few other commands which may be helpful:
powercfg –devicequery wake_armed
will tell you which devices can awaken your PC.

powercfg -waketimers
will tell you which Scheduled Tasks can awaken your PC.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I hope the update removal went ok. After you are done removing the update. put the PC to sleep. Immediately after it wakes back up, open a Command Prompt (run as admin) and type in:

powercfg -lastwake

Example:
Code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Friendly Name:
This means a USB device was the last thing to wake my PC up. Which would be when I pressed the spacebar on my keyboard earlier to wake the PC up.

powercfg -waketimers
Awesome!! Thank you so much I will try this out the next time it wakes itself up.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019

powercfg -lastwake

Example:
Code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Friendly Name:

powercfg -waketimers
C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1539&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_03\B42E99FFFFA0CD9000
Friendly Name: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Description: Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
Manufacturer: Intel

So it was my network. I dissembled all wake on Lan. Thanks so much IDK why I didn't think of this sooner.

Reactions: gardenman