News Lawyers Are Looking Into Cracked M1 MacBook Screens

peachpuff

Estimable
Apr 6, 2021
Does apple not know how to build hardware? Seems almost everything they release has a recall that reads "a small percentage of devices have this issue".

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Huh, this happened to my before M1 16 inch MBP recently, though it was an internal crack (not a back hit, not something in front cracked), so luckily it was covered under warranty.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Does apple not know how to build hardware? Seems almost everything they release has a recall that reads "a small percentage of devices have this issue".

Their perpetual compulsion to make things impossibly, impractically thin causes all of the issues. It's a matter of industrial design taking priority over engineering. They would rather produce a sculpture you need to replace every two years than a functional computer that would last.

Now that they have these low-power m1 chips, it's just going to give them more rope to hang themselves with.

Reactions: peachpuff
Their perpetual compulsion to make things impossibly, impractically thin causes all of the issues. It's a matter of industrial design taking priority over engineering. They would rather produce a sculpture you need to replace every two years than a functional computer that would last.

Now that they have these low-power m1 chips, it's just going to give them more rope to hang themselves with.
Functionality follows form - but Apple applies it in reverse, and worse, cut costs however possible.
In short, they sell good looking crap at a premium.
And people wonder why I only buy Xiaomi smartphones and Lenovo laptops... Hint : they do what they're designed for.

Sippincider

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
First it's long past due for Apple to drop their thinness for thinness' sake. I can live with it being a mm thicker and a fraction ounce heavier, if it won't crack itself or thermal-throttle when doing actual work.

Second, class action reform is also long past due. Yes lawyers should charge fairly for their services, but collecting a historic windfall while the people actually harmed get a crumb or two is hardly fair.

TRENDING THREADS