NoTiG

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
So i know LCD's have higher brightness but lower contrast than crts. What I'm wondering is why when i looked at the good LCD's in teh store it looks so 3 dimensional like popping out at you , if its contrast is not as good as crts? is it because there is no glare at all ?

NoTiG

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
hmm , i think i answered my own question.

I own a 2000FP and the black level is far from perfect, I admit. But it's still better than Samsung 181T but inferior to Dell's smaller monitor the 1702FP. If you cannot stand it just get a refund. Your next 2000FP won't have a better black level than the one you have right now. It is the sad side effect of the technology the use in this panel namely: the MVA (Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) which causes the ugly light leakage when you view the black color at specific angles. The best LCDs for black levels are those based on the IPS (In-Plane Switching) technology. They usually have slower response times however
The one i was looking at in the store had perfect black. I guess it was an IPS panel.

evilcommie

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah...there are some LCD mons which can do black really well.....my TFT Super IPS 15inch Flat pannel displays black very well....
Black looks black..even in full screen.......

IPS= high response time , not really my IPS display
has a repsone time of 6ms rise 19 fall....

NoTiG

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2002
In TN and MVA devices, on-time response including all
grey scales is widely spread in a range of 4..60ms, that is,
the ratio (R) of slowest to fastest response is about 10
but the IPS case is about 2.2 For off response time,
the R values are almost same among three devices, not
very large though the absolute value of the IPS device is
relatively small."
Maybe what i'm looking for is an IPS panel with FFD :)