LCD Desktop Monitor Flickers (Loudly) then goes Black

thatoneguy202

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
All of the sudden my LCD monitor for my desktop started flickering. Slightly for the first few minutes, then it got worse. The darker the screen flickered the louder the sound. Now it displays an image for a split second before going black. I can only see the faintest outline of the desktop. So after reading up on the causes of monitor deaths, I concluded that either my monitor's backlight died or a capacitor went bad. Upon inspecting the circuit board, all the capacitors appear fine. So I dug deeper to the actual CCFL lamps. However, when I completely gutted my monitor, I noticed that the top and bottom each have 2 lamps that plug in to two different places on the circuit board. It seems a bit strange that both lamps would go bad at the exact same time (and even flicker together), yet the capacitors are all good as new. Anyone know what's going on here? Should I just buy new lamps and hope for the best?

It's an ASUS VW246H if that makes a difference.

(Yes, I tested different cables, both the DVI and VGA ports, and on another computer, all with the same result)

thatoneguy202

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007

I think you're overestimating my technical knowledge here, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying I should replace the lamps? Test the voltage?

popatim

Titan
The Compact Flourescent tubes run off of very high voltages and typically have a dedicated power supply used to convert the wallplug voltage to the high voltage. If your CFL's look fine (tips aren't brown or black) then I would look into checking the high voltage board which is usually called the inverter board.

Given that you lack technical experience and the high voltage nature of the inverter bd, I suggest you locate someone more technical to assist you. I dont want any burned fingers...

thatoneguy202

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Perhaps not the best way to test things, but I plugged it in with the board exposed (standing away from the board). A block that's says "Warning High Voltage" glowed yellow and made the buzzing sound. Needless to say a new monitor has been ordered. Sad I can't fix it myself, but thanks for the help though!