LCD industry cannot make 16- ms response time for 19+ in LCD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lou

"Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message

>> I think you're the one who misunderstands. Saying the .294 mm dot
>> pitch (and therefore the resolution)
>> is dictated by the 19" size is ridiculous. If the manufacturer
>> decreases the dot pitch, the native resolution
>> will go up. .294 is not a magic number. It can be decreased
>> independent of the screen size. If makers
>> come out with .25 dot pitch screens, they can use the .25 dot pitch
>> on any size LCD they like.
>
> He's not saying a 19" will always have .294, he's saying that if you have
> a 19" screen, and a 1280.1024 resolution, you have .294 dp. And he's
> right.
>
> --
> Thomas

I read at Toms Hardware that you cant really go by the manufacture specs for
gaming performance. They tested a few 19" LCD with claimed 16ms and even
12ms and most ran way above those specs under normal conditions but were
still very playable for fps games, but the Xerox claimed 16ms and was not
playable(120ms).
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050110/index.html

I was actually trying to find a good gaming review of the new 20" and 23"
LCD's that claim 16ms like the SONY SDM-P234/B, but all I could find was the
buyer reviews saying "Dude, its awesome! Get it!"
Anyone found a good review of the new 23" LCD's or have tried one for
gaming?

Lou

Todd

angry,

> If you say 19" LCD will always have .294 mm as its dot
>pitch, then I don't. My understanding is dot pitch is
>independent. If it goes lower, we get a sharper image out
>of the same size panel.

The centre of our misunderstanding is "native resolution." This resolution is
determined by the physical number of pixels in the display, in terms of width by height.
Thus a 19" LCD with a 1280x1024 resolution is a screen composed of that number of actual
pixels. To fit them into a 19" monitor, physics demands you have a .294 dot pitch.
--
Todd

Lou

"Insomniac" <insomniac_cam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Nerevar" <monk@mink.monk> wrote in message
>> "angry" <angry@lcd.com> wrote in message
>> > LCD industry leaders like Samsung and Sony cannot make 16-
>> > ms response time a reality for 19+ in LCD.
>> >
>> > Do you see any LCD with a 16ms response time or better for
>> > 19+ inch LCD from them? No. The industry isn't capable to
>> > make it.
>> >
>> > When coming to 19+ in monitor, buy a CRT.
>>
>> (3 seconds looking on an online store)
>>
>> CTX F973L 19" 12ms
>> Viewsonic VX912 19" 12ms
>> LG Electronics L1980U 19" 12ms
>> LG L1915S 19" 12ms
>> Belinea 101906 19" 15ms
>>
>> I'm sure there are many many more, and wouldn't be suprised to see sub
>> 12ms
>> screens if searching a little harder.
>
> Anyone want to post a review on the new Samsung 915N? (8MS)
>
> As far as I know from reading though, reponse times are only a small
> indication of the monitors performance. Check out tomshardware and
> anandtech for recent reviews. Plus, they don't always state what the
> reponse times are measured for -white to black, etc. Anyone can make
> the numbers look good on paper.
>
> Good luck finding a CRT in a computer store lately..took a browse
> through and only 2 19" crt's to pick from. (And two isle's of LCD
> panels) Ugh.

New Toms Hardware review of 8ms LCD's
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/index.html

Great for gaming, but not so good for movie watching.

TRENDING THREADS