LCD Juggernaut: Tom's Hardware Looks Into Samsung's Seoul

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Wow... south korea from nothing to one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world some could argue in just over 50 years, with plants like these and also with the fastest broadband connections...

Nice article as usual as well, pity bout the actual manufacturing floor and filming stuff though :(

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Wow.....

It's amazing what goes into a factory of this enormous scale.

Did anyone notice the garage doors in the side of the Fabs in the larger pics? It looked like garage doors in the sides several stories up. Good thing this isn't a Foxconn factory.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So, Sony working with Samsung (7th picture)! Well, maybe it would be useless to compare LCDs then![/citation]

It's not unusual for them to outsource some of their production to the largest producer of LCD's. Probably though, some of their higher-end or newer models may still be made by Sony itself.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
I recall passing one normally illuminated area in which test patterns were examined by lines of technical staff, with the control systems running Windows XP.
Ha ha. Proves something about XPs popularity, an OS that refuses to die despite its creator's sincere efforts.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Put more than one picture per page and increase the resolution too. It is really that hard to follow Anandtech and Engadget in adapting a new format for the new century? It is 2010 already.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I agree. Why not bigger resolution images in this site that is also easy to navigate, like an image that blows up once clicked?

Anyways, I read everything and slowly going through each page. Nice trip! Hope to see more from Samsung. (they're now making mirrorless digital cameras too)

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
warezme, you have no idea what you are talking about. South Korea is a booming democratic capitalist society. I assure you, they are paid a competitive wage.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Great article. It's really great to see a country unite and rebuild like this.
One question, though: As long as we’re still saddled with using glasses, how hard would it be to make the glasses auto-sensing such that when the user sets them down their associated screen(s) automatically revert to 2D mode?
That's a really good idea.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
it clearly says the dorms cost the employees only $30 a month. warezme has made the assumption that all blue collar workers in the entire continent of asia are seriously underpaid. he needs to learn some more about other nations before opening his big virtual mouth.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Unfortunately, $30 a month is their monthly salary...[/citation]
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Their rent is $30 per month, not their salary. Of course, I would assume that their pay takes into account the considerable housing subsidies.

Status
Not open for further replies.