LCD Juggernaut: Tom's Hardware Looks Into Samsung's Seoul

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malhute

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Unfortunately, $30 a month is their monthly salary...[/citation]
Not correct.
I am Korean IT engineer working in US. Samsung gave me an offer with more than $100,000 per year, if am back to Korea and work for their company. Couple of my family working on this company as an inspector and they got more than $50,000 per year.

Conner Macleod

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]Its all owned by Sony...[/citation]

No it's not. Where do you come up with this falsehood? Sony is Japanese, not South Korean. Sony pays Samsung to make some of their panels, think of it as outsourcing, but that's ONLY for their LCD glass panels, the rest of the technology, chipsets, color filters, sound chips, etc. are all patented, owned and produced by Sony. Pioneer has done the same thing, they used to make their own but eventually outsourced to another company because it was cheaper for them to use a company which has a much larger infrastructure for the manufacturing process of LCD or plasma.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So, Sony working with Samsung (7th picture)! Well, maybe it would be useless to compare LCDs then![/citation]

Most of the Sony LCD screens are the same as Samsungs screens. The panels are the same, it's the software driving them that is different.

G

[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]Its all owned by Sony...[/citation]
No its not, Sony pays Samsung to make their screens. Also, Samsung is a FAR larger comapny than Sony (check the Fortune Gobal 500) ignorant dude.
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Unfortunately, $30 a month is their monthly salary...[/citation]
South Korea is not all of Asia. Do you also think that Japanese blue collar workers are also paid $30 a month? If 30 dollars is their salary, then how to they afford cars? As a South Korean, I pity your ignorance and arrogance.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Now if only Samsung will stop using Crap capacitors in their monitors and TVs... Maybe not, I get several free LCD monitors that way... Hmm.

akorzan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
William Van Winkle:
Do you use speech recognizition to write these articles?
For example the "our": "Samsung had a couple of displays in the showroom illustrating how LCD screens operate and our built."

akorzan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
William Van Winkle:
Do you use speech recognition to write these articles?
For example the "our": "Samsung had a couple of displays in the showroom illustrating how LCD screens operate and our built."

shovenose

Distinguished
lol :)
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Put more than one picture per page and increase the resolution too. It is really that hard to follow Anandtech and Engadget in adapting a new format for the new century? It is 2010 already.[/citation]
if you dont like this website then dont visit it :)

mjinspace

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Interesting read! However, its too bad you weren't allowed access similar to the Western Digital article. it was the specificity, and pictures to back words up that made the read so interesting!

Hope you can do more of these with more depth.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
About knowing the coworker by the eyes only. I myself work in a fab for Lucent. I knew people by the way they walk. Once they are out of the cleanroom and into the lunch area with the normal clothes on; no clue who they are.

Having been living in this country for many years now, its truly amazing how this place works.

Now for the question of the day, who knew that Samsung also makes cars? (Their in a partnership with Renault) Their mostly clones of Nissan models sold inside Korean / China / Europe.

Now onto what the writer of this article negated to tell you guys. Guaranteed he got taken out after this how to eat Korean good and drink Soju. I'd really like to hear how ~that~ night ended up.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]agawtrip[/nom]destroy the mountains and other natural resources to gain lots of money $$$$[/citation]
We've been doing this in Alberta, Canada for many years. There's a reason why we have the most money. :D

Those are amazingly huge investments. With all hope. within a few years, I can buy 100" highend panel for only $1,000. I remember when I had a 22" CRT thinking a 32" TV would be absolutely awesome.
Hell, I remember going form a 17" to 23" monitor. These things are wonderfully huge.

What interested me was that 4:1 1920x480 monitor. Bump it up to 4360x1080 (or higher, I wouldn't complain), and I'd be eyeing it. Maybe put a curve in it too (for us wide screen gamers). Or tose 7mm bezel multi monitor setup. While the bezel on my monitors is only about 10mm, there are two of them, making a 20mm space between each. When playing, I don't really notice it anymore, but it'd still be nice.

Samsung is a very powerful company, and that actually makes me cautious though. I never liked the idea of a few having power over the many. It only takes a single person for things to go wrong.

Someone mentioned the decent pay at Samsung in South Korea, but only $30 rent.
I made $30,000/year, but have a $1,000 rent. Maybe living in the Great White North isn't so great after all. Then again, South Korea doesn't have Manly Men lumberjacks wearing plaid and swinging a huge axe or chainsaw, with huge beards and even manlier woman who cook beans and bacon every night with whiskey to warm them up in the blizzards. My country is awesome.

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I love your photostories toms, thanks alot for this

just WOW honestly just shows that with patience and vision you can do anything, all it takes is one generation to take a country either in the skies or in the dirt

downhilldude

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Most people have no idea how large Samsung is. They only know the electronics piece of the company. In Korea, Samsung is equivalent to over 20% of the GDP of the country. Various subsiduaries and sister companies are involved in almost every busines. Samsung entities (of various names) have been contractors on the tallest buildings on Earth (including Burg Dubai), they are the largest wholesaler of fashion in their market, they own the 3rd busiest amusement park in the world, they run hospitals, universities, hotels, finance companies, sports teams, etc. They are one of the largest ship builders in the world. Roughly two-thirds of the 270,000 employees are in electronics related endeavors. If you open any electronic gadget, you are likely to find a component from Samsung inside. Approx. 27% of the cost of the components in iPhone are manufactured by Samsung. Every CPU in every iPhone ever made is manufactured by Samsung. Even the iPad CPU is made by Samsung.

They are freaking huge, Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.