LCD Manufacturers Paying $539M To Settle Antitust Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsyuts

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Price-fixing is wrong, and criminal punishments for these companies are just. However, fining these companies again and again and again is just crazy.

First, we have anti-trust fines. Then we have payments for direct buyers. Now, we have payments for indirect buyers.

What's next? Payments for consumer buyers? Are we fining companies out of existence?

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Garbage. The only sentence that has a chance at successfully preventing future abuses of the capitalist system are executives going to PRISON. That's it. Decision makers in the pokey. That simple.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Like any of this really going to benefit the consumer as they will just pass on the cost to the consumer. Like the previous poster said the execs should just go to jail for their crimes.

G

Just go ahead and send that check over to my house. I promise not to pursue any more legal action.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
and it'll get passed down to the consmer... and nothing will change, prices will keep slowly going down, but if there were real compatition profits wouls shrink, and they just cna't hae that.. so they'll pay a small fine (small compared to profit gain anyway)and keep doing the same thing

shak2300

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Aintry[/nom]Anybody ever wonder just what is done with the money collected in fines?[/citation]
i was thinking the same thing honestly

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Aintry[/nom]Anybody ever wonder just what is done with the money collected in fines?[/citation]

[citation][nom]shak2300[/nom]i was thinking the same thing honestly[/citation]

60% goes to law firms.
20% for lawyers expenses. (fancy restaurants, bars, mistresses, private jets)
10% lawyers fee
9.95% lawyers bonus for winning the case.
.01% to consumers who felt ripped off by these electronic firms.

Yes I was being sarcastic. I never liked civil suits just enriches lawyers and law firms, seldom the consumer!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
So the companies paid almost a billion in fines.
That will be tagged on to the pricing of the next panels of course; where else would the companies get the money from.
And the fines go where ?
Lawyers and government pockets ?
Don't just fine them. If there was 'criminal conduct' then the decision makers should serve time in Club Fed. Fines alone are not going to have an impact as it does not come out of Management's pocket.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I don't doubt the price fixing at bit when I bought my 21inch monitor it was like $200's a year and a half later they were more like $100's. Still price fixing or not the prices are still pretty fair overall outside of monitors with resolutions higher than 1080P which have definite price fixing going on with them.

You can get bigger thinner clearer better resolution more energy efficient tv's and monitors far cheaper than you could 10 years ago when tube based crt's were more common place so it's hard to complain plus they have inputs and outputs for various connectors and more advanced ones at that.

The anti competitive resolution fixing is the only thing that bothers me really that going on as it would be easy enough for manufacturers to be making 16:9 2774 x 1560 or 2732 x1536 or 2560 x 1440 resolutions for example not to mention all the other variations for other display ratio's as well.

If it can be done with eyefinity and such so easily there is no reason the manufactures couldn't make seamless displays to do the same thing pricing on anything above 1080P is a complete joke.

I wish a monitor maker would make seamless modular bezel free monitors with the controls on the back side or built into the monitor base stand then things would get far more interesting.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hsyuts[/nom]Price-fixing is wrong, and criminal punishments for these companies are just. However, fining these companies again and again and again is just crazy.First, we have anti-trust fines. Then we have payments for direct buyers. Now, we have payments for indirect buyers.What's next? Payments for consumer buyers? Are we fining companies out of existence?[/citation]

well those kind of company should not exist in the first place :) i just hope this fine won't accounted as production cost so they can crank price again :D

hmm, perhaps now they should investigate the current hard drive price

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hsyuts[/nom]Price-fixing is wrong, and criminal punishments for these companies are just. However, fining these companies again and again and again is just crazy.First, we have anti-trust fines. Then we have payments for direct buyers. Now, we have payments for indirect buyers.What's next? Payments for consumer buyers? Are we fining companies out of existence?[/citation]
you have to hit them in their wallets it's the only place they care about

at least in America it goes though funding drug busting, it's really what most our laws go to help, for better or worse, usually worse.

-------------------------------

Can someone tell me what was wrong here?
I mean give me a number of how much it cost to make an LCD labor and shipping included
give me the number of the profit they make
and tell me exactly what's wrong, because I don't really get

Yet you can tell me price fixing is wrong, I get that, but I want to know what's wrong here. I mean if they're really just covering themselves so they don't get into an undercutting war where they're only making two or three dollars per panel, and they also weren't trying to make retardedly large amounts of money per panel, I just can't see what's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS