LCD monitor turning on and off while light stays green

nomiahmed

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
I am using a HP L1950g LCD monitor, which I know is very old. Two days back, I experienced a problem in the monitor. I turned on my computer and I worked for around 10 minutes, after that the monitor went black for 5 seconds and then returned back. I checked the power cable whether it was faulty or not, turned out it wasn't. After a few more minutes, the monitor blacked out again this time more than once. During the blackout, the green power light of the monitor stayed on.

I am using a DVI to VGA converter and a VGA cable to connect my graphics card to the monitor (the card being the HD 7770). I unplugged the vga cable and connected it to the on board graphics of the motherboard (Intel DH61WW) and still the monitor showed blackouts, this time after a few blackouts, there was an indication "No Input Signal" and the power light went orange.

I got the monitor checked and repaired and yet it is still causing problems but less than before. I have to ask that,

• Has the monitor lost it's running life ?
    Is there problem in my motherboard ?
    Or, is there a problem in the VGA cable ?

Any help soon, will be appreciated.

Solution
If you open the case up, check that all the capacitors have have flat tops, signs of splitting or bulging means they need replacing.

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube on how to spot/change them.

It may also be the DVI/VGA port your using. It may have come loose off the board.

could well be the DVI cable, it is unlikely to be the LCD its self if its performing a self test.

Matthew Mannion

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
If you open the case up, check that all the capacitors have have flat tops, signs of splitting or bulging means they need replacing.

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube on how to spot/change them.

It may also be the DVI/VGA port your using. It may have come loose off the board.

could well be the DVI cable, it is unlikely to be the LCD its self if its performing a self test.

Solution

nomiahmed

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012

Well I'm answering a bit late :p but I changed the DVI cable way back then and it fixed the problem.. thanks for your help . really appreciate it ! :D