LCD Monitor

Hi:

My computer is 2 months old.

I just noticed my 19 inch LCD flat panel has a small black spot (the size of
a pin head). Is this normal and/or common?

Chuck Lapre wrote:
> My computer is 2 months old.
>
> I just noticed my 19 inch LCD flat panel has a small black spot (the
> size of a pin head). Is this normal and/or common?

Sounds like a dead pixel. Too common, and classed as normal by the
manufacturer - Different manufacturers have different limits on how many
dead pixels equal a dead monitor, but worth calling Dell and asking for a
replacement or repair.

Regards,

Pete.
Derby.

> I just noticed my 19 inch LCD flat panel has a small black spot (the size of
> a pin head). Is this normal and/or common?

Common with LCD monitors, and the damage is permanent. Most manufacturers
would class a certain number of dead pixels as acceptable, but depending
on their grouping (several dead ones close together for example) may get
you a replacement.

"Chuck Lapre" <chuck@nospam.org> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> My computer is 2 months old.
>
> I just noticed my 19 inch LCD flat panel has a small black spot (the size
of
> a pin head). Is this normal and/or common?

Like others here have pointed out, it's likely a "dead pixel", and there's
nothing you can really do about it until enough have accumulated. The
amount of pixel carnage required for action depends upon the manufacturer.
Asking Dell is really the first step though.

As an aside, I'm betting that within a handful of years this is likely going
to be one of those "when things were rotten" things that we look back upon
without fondness. Like: "remember when floppy disks held 36K"? Or
"Remember when Hard Drives used stepper motors instead of voice coils and so
never did an auto-retract when the power went out and thus scraped up the
surface while screaming like a banshee?"

Douglas

I remember 360k floppies,but not 36k.I also remember 8 inch 80k sssd
floppies too.As for the dead pixels,there have been reported ways to fix
some of them.In my case I use Planar flat panels.They have the best warranty
for replacement,though out of the 3-17" and 2-19" Planars I don't have 1
dead pixel!
"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:Noidc.966$d8.261@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...

> "Chuck Lapre" <chuck@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > My computer is 2 months old.
> >
> > I just noticed my 19 inch LCD flat panel has a small black spot (the
size
> of
> > a pin head). Is this normal and/or common?
>
> Like others here have pointed out, it's likely a "dead pixel", and there's
> nothing you can really do about it until enough have accumulated. The
> amount of pixel carnage required for action depends upon the manufacturer.
> Asking Dell is really the first step though.
>
> As an aside, I'm betting that within a handful of years this is likely
going
> to be one of those "when things were rotten" things that we look back upon
> without fondness. Like: "remember when floppy disks held 36K"? Or
> "Remember when Hard Drives used stepper motors instead of voice coils and
so
> never did an auto-retract when the power went out and thus scraped up the
> surface while screaming like a banshee?"

Bah. IIRC the 36K floppies were a standard roughly before the 56k floppies.

And when referring to 8", the SD part is moot: It didn't have any bearing
then, it was all just data amounts.

"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:RfudnTdt_fm2murdRVn-gg@centurytel.net...
> I remember 360k floppies,but not 36k.I also remember 8 inch 80k sssd
> floppies too.As for the dead pixels,there have been reported ways to fix
> some of them.In my case I use Planar flat panels.They have the best
warranty
> for replacement,though out of the 3-17" and 2-19" Planars I don't have 1
> dead pixel!
> "Thomas G. Marshall"
<tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
> wrote in message news:Noidc.966$d8.261@nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
> >
> > "Chuck Lapre" <chuck@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > My computer is 2 months old.
> > >
> > > I just noticed my 19 inch LCD flat panel has a small black spot (the
> size
> > of
> > > a pin head). Is this normal and/or common?
> >
> > Like others here have pointed out, it's likely a "dead pixel", and
there's
> > nothing you can really do about it until enough have accumulated. The
> > amount of pixel carnage required for action depends upon the
manufacturer.
> > Asking Dell is really the first step though.
> >
> > As an aside, I'm betting that within a handful of years this is likely
> going
> > to be one of those "when things were rotten" things that we look back
upon
> > without fondness. Like: "remember when floppy disks held 36K"? Or
> > "Remember when Hard Drives used stepper motors instead of voice coils
and
> so
> > never did an auto-retract when the power went out and thus scraped up
the
> > surface while screaming like a banshee?"

is it likely that the dead pixel problem will get worse over time?

Chuck Lapre wrote:

> is it likely that the dead pixel problem will get worse over time?

Worse than dead?

Probably not.

Larry

Allow me to revise the question:

Will 1 dead pixel become many more dead pixels?

Never has on any of my panels.

Tom

Chuck Lapre wrote:

> Allow me to revise the question:
>
> Will 1 dead pixel become many more dead pixels?

Now that's more like it! <g>

It shouldn't. Dead pixels are, for all intents and purposes, a
manufacturing defect that present at the time of manufacturing.

If not already dead, time shouldn't be a factor.

Larry

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Chuck Lapre wrote:
> >
> > Allow me to revise the question:
> >
> > Will 1 dead pixel become many more dead pixels?
>
> Now that's more like it! <g>
>
> It shouldn't. Dead pixels are, for all intents and purposes, a
> manufacturing defect that present at the time of manufacturing.
>
> If not already dead, time shouldn't be a factor.

That's great to hear! And I *will* report back here about my SDM-X93, but
I've heard that pixels do die over time. Are you sure that this is not so?