LCD Monitors and EYE Damage

nanyangview

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
Okiez... next year all my school stupid courses requires [-peep-] load of research and essays which requires me to stare at the monitor ALL DAY long. So guyz, it is confirmed that LCD monitors DO NOT HAVE ANY RADIATION and is not harmful to the eyes compared to CRTs. So using an LCD Monitor will not worsen my eyeglass prescription as fast as using an CRT rite?
Thanks alot!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hehe, I have same- I'll be writing like 3 essays a day. For your concerns, there are several things you must consider. First, it depends largely on the monitor and how it's configured. An example is this pos 15" CRT that I use w/ my comp makes my eyes begin hurting literally after 5 minutes, (feels like the muscles hurt as well as a burning and a pressure behind my eyes). 3 hours in front of it will do u in- slight headache + diziness and a sikly feeling, plus your eyes will hurt like hell for the next few days. My dad tells me bs (he never uses this comp) which is why I'm still stuck w/ this 7 year old thing. In contrast, my freind has a 19" CRT from Sony- relatively new actually, and I can sit in front of it all day and not feel a thing. When I had my TFT7020, it hurt my eyes cause contrast and brightness weren't set well, and colors were pretty garish. I adjusted it and finally it was ok, but I then returned it for several reasons. There is one big thing that worries me about LCD's- their brightness. The human eye's comfort level is at 40 cd/m^2, and CRT's are usually around 100 cd/m^2 at max. LCD's go up to and above in some cases 300cd/m^2 and it u tone it down, picture is bad. So that can cause some serious eyestrain. I wouldn't worry about radiation, as it isn't anything serious. Finally, eyestrain comes inevitably from lcd's and crt's in that your eye constantly keeps going back and forth focusing b/c there isn't a solid object for it to focus on. It all really depends how mcuh u use the monitor. I'm sure Gosharks can give a few more arguments as well.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

nanyangview

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2002
IC, are u in university BTW. About LCD Brightness, some of them have INSANE intensity of 600 candela/m^2. Those things u need sunglasses. I am using my 171P at 90% brightness and I reduced it to 45% and it indeed proved to be much more comfortable than before. The majority of the time i use the computer is in the WEE hours of the night with all lights off and the only illumination i have is the LCD lol. After using the LCD for several months, i basically cannot stand the crappy 15inch Dell PIECE of [-peep-] CRT monitors in my school. The text looks soo fuzzy.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
No, I'm going into 10th grade, and taking the hardest english course my school offers (no one has ever gotten an A). It's all essay writing. I know what ya mean about the fuziness hehe.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened his ass all over the place :eek:

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You cant pass english becasue you cannot spell "the". Just kidding flame :)

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
hehe:) Last year I really pissed off my history teacher cause I wrote her an email and spelled the teh every time (didn't have to time to check it) hehe.

NVGTS2

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
I been using the LCD for a month or two and its kind of weird. But since its brighter than the CRT I think the eyes get used to the bright light and when ur watching tv its not as bright so things are not so clear/harder to focus?

I wonder if my vision is getting worse or it's just the small text type on the lcd?

The default brightness settings are set too high if the lcd is being used in a room with not enough light to counter act it. The default settings are like 80%, I had to turn it down to like 20%.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well the first one I received, yes, that was due to fault, but even on the 2nd and 3rd one, my eyes hurt a little more from the lcd than w/ the crt in terms of brightness.

What if you had admin rights to life?