bnh142

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2004
I just purchaced a new Sony SDM-S73 LCD monitor. It has a very annoying motion issue that makes text anywhere and edge lines in games flash/flicker when they are moving slowly accross the screen. What the heck is going on? This is very noticable when text scrolls accross a window such as the stock ticker in AIM or a long song name in Winamp. In games edges appear to crawl, flicker, and/or shimmer when there is movement. This monitor is supposed to have a response time of 16 ms. Can someone please tell me what is happening here? I'm VERY annoyed.

Starhawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Couple of things to check for. . .
Is it connected using standard VGA?
If so, that might be the source of your problems since the standard VGA signal tends to not give as good of a picture as a connection using DVI.
Your options there would be to first try and see if enabling cleartype in Windows helps it any.
Make sure you are running in its native resolution (1280x1024). Adjust the monitor's display area in its menu
properties. A color calibrator may help if you can find one.
It could possibly just be the monitor's dithering is very noticeable to you since it can't display a full 24bit color pallette and its 18bit dithering bothers you a lot.

The other possibility is try connecting to your computer using a DVI cable (is that even available for your monitor?) and make sure its getting a DVI signal and not a RGB signal (should be adjustable from your graphics card's control panel)

Hope any of those options help.

bnh142

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2004
This monitor has only a VGA analog connection so DVI is not an option. Cleartype seems to help a little bit at the expense of some sharpness. Also I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the dithering but switching to 16 bit color makes no difference. I am using native resolution. I haven't used a color calibrator since I'm not sure where I could get one. I did use the calibration tools that were on the CD that came with the monitor but that didn't have any color tests.

Starhawk

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One of the reviews of LCD's here on Tom's has two images on it you can use to adjust the display properties of your colors. (I believe it was a review of 17inch monitors)

One was concentric circles, half in white, half in black. Adjust your monitor accordingly to set your contrast vs brightness. The other was a bar that had shades of color from pure white to grey and black. Set your red, green, blues so you can display that bar accurately.

Keep your color settings to 32 bit so that your monitor will at least try to display all your colors correctly.

And to start with, check your video card's display properties and set them all to default first before you mess with the Monitor's settings.

Just don't change your native resolution. That will destroy picture quality on most LCDs. LCDs simply don't interpolate resizing very well.

Try this link too, to adjust your cleartype settings for best readability.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm