LCD Or Plasma - What's Your Pleasure? (March 9 0 )

PunchGrinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Idea like a lightbulb. Although perhaps not practical,howbowt a thin solor panel type back panel integrated into the LCD. A biproduct of the 'white light utilized perhaps,enough energy to run a small appliance,charge some batteries,or run an extra feature of the LCD.

While probably not practical.Would be a feasable idea of gaining some extra energy from an already energy wise technology. From reading the article,a 'white light is necesary,and judging from the thin/ultrathin,these are getting fairly small. (or am I completely erroneous seeing as the electronics has already replaced the concept completely - white light).

From what I see of it,the panel is 'always backlit,with the full dimension of the white light not being used from its backside panel. So using the solor cells inside wouldn't keep up with the superthin.But it would be useful nonetheless.And again ;(or not)....

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
How many lcd panels are even near sun light?
Not many I think, lol.
I hate to crush your hopes and dreams but I don't think that would be feasable for a lot of reasons.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

PunchGrinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
yeah It just crossed my mind that even 'inhouse lighting has 64% of its 'light space unused (light directing towards the ceiling..'backside of flourescent lights). Brings on some serious considerations. Solor cells will run on any kind of light source,and produce energy according to its concentration.

So its worth a ponder.One story here within Tomshardware somewhere shows an lcd built into a screen projector. It was pretty astounding. Having the correct dimensions and all. Guy simply broke open an LCD put it into an opaq projector ,and walla. Non-differential momentum.

Dont have any LCDs to crack open,nor the solar panels to generate the energy. But na,not a hinderance.More of a challenge. Solar panels are getting better as well along with the microscopic digital changes.

Thanks for reply.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PunchGrinder on 03/11/05 08:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>