LCD scrambled output

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Presario 1900 XL-163 LCD monitor has begun flickering and
scrambling all images that appear on it (from POST through Windows).
The system still works perfectly with an external monitor, and the LCD
backlight is still fine. The fact that it drives an external monitor
made me doubt the fault lies in the video controller, but, then again,
what else could be causing this? Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

Hawk

Could be a loose connection between video adapter and LCD. Since the
external monitor works, I would think the video adapter is OK.

hawk

jgfox wrote:

> My Presario 1900 XL-163 LCD monitor has begun flickering and
> scrambling all images that appear on it (from POST through Windows).
> The system still works perfectly with an external monitor, and the LCD
> backlight is still fine. The fact that it drives an external monitor
> made me doubt the fault lies in the video controller, but, then again,
> what else could be causing this? Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.

Sounds like video cable connector on either the video card or screen plugin

TJ
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

> Sounds like video cable connector on either the video card or screen plugin

I've already detached the LCD from the main unit and unplugged the two
connecting ribbon cables and reattached it, being careful to reseat
the cables in their plug-in connections. I suppose it could still be
some other cable or connection.

Thinking this might be the case I tried wiggling everything I could
and tapping the machine hard while it was misbehaving. The wiggling
and jolting seemed to have no effect on the the video display. Not a
definitive test, I know, but suggestive.

I'm stumped.

Hawk

Well, that leaves the LCD.

hawk

jgfox wrote:
>>Sounds like video cable connector on either the video card or screen plugin
>>

> I've already detached the LCD from the main unit and unplugged the two
> connecting ribbon cables and reattached it, being careful to reseat
> the cables in their plug-in connections. I suppose it could still be
> some other cable or connection.
>
> Thinking this might be the case I tried wiggling everything I could
> and tapping the machine hard while it was misbehaving. The wiggling
> and jolting seemed to have no effect on the the video display. Not a
> definitive test, I know, but suggestive.
>
> I'm stumped.

LCD cable. Replace it.
End of story

On 12 Jun 2004 14:55:43 -0700, jgfox@compuserve.com (jgfox) wrote:

>> Sounds like video cable connector on either the video card or screen plugin
>>
>I've already detached the LCD from the main unit and unplugged the two
>connecting ribbon cables and reattached it, being careful to reseat
>the cables in their plug-in connections. I suppose it could still be
>some other cable or connection.
>
>Thinking this might be the case I tried wiggling everything I could
>and tapping the machine hard while it was misbehaving. The wiggling
>and jolting seemed to have no effect on the the video display. Not a
>definitive test, I know, but suggestive.
>
>I'm stumped.

re: scrambled output on Presario 1900 LCD (looks like out of sync
signal).

scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) wrote in message news:<40cbad6b.14214138@news-server.optonline.net>...
> LCD cable. Replace it.
> End of story

The system also has a Low Voltage Differential Signal board that feeds
the LCD. My guess would be this board. Any thoughts?

Problem could be a bad cable from the base to the lid (LCD).

You can't completely rule out the motherboard and video card just
because the external CRT works, but it does sound like an LCD or cable
problem.