lcd w/ old vid card

LunaSolaris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
How much does a graphics card affect the performance of a monitor? I got a 19" lcd for Xmas and was told that out of all the monitors tried out, it was the best (though the method "tried out" is not known). The brand is Mag (I've never heard of it).
As for my poor old computer, it's a Gateway I bought in '99, w/ a P3 450Mhz and 352Mb RAM. The vid card is an ATI Rage, and I think it only has 8mb.
I'm experiencing ghosting w/ some of the games I play (D2X, but not Dungeon Siege, the newer game?!?), and wheel scrolling windows.
So can this best be solved by a) getting a different monitor; b) getting a different vid card (assuming I can dig one up that'll go in my sorry set-up); or c) waiting six months to a year when I build my new rig?

<font color=purple> Don't look down on me because I know next to nothing - look down on me because I'm SHORT </font color=purple>

LunaSolaris

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
O-kay. Um, thanks, I think. I ended up going w/ option A. New ViewSonic CRT monitor, and a multifunction w/ some of the money left over.

<font color=purple> Don't look down on me because I know next to nothing - look down on me because I'm SHORT </font color=purple>