flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
I decided to go for a movie today, but had an extra 2 hours before it started (yeah, really, really bad timing on mt friend's part), so my freind and I went into Best Buy to check out teh LCD's there....and also so I could spaz at the employees for not being able to answer my questions :smile: . Anyways, looking at the LCD's that were on display gave a very false impression of what they were capable of. Stores usually just have one comp, and use a signal splitter to connect x amount of monitors to it- therefore meaning the picture is really degraded. Everything was fuzzy on the LCD's, and CRT monitors as well. Plus, they were all hooked up through an analog connection, meaning that those w/ digital capabalities- and meant for digital weren't being used at their best possible circumstance. Then, I switched over to an LCD that was connected to a comp- and only that LCD w/o splitter, and bam, picture was very, very nice. Would just like to point that out- sometimes an LCD may look like crap, but in actuality, it's great. I remember early this summer I was speaking w/ a THG member (not sure if he's here anymore) about the L371 (that was the best at the time), and he saw it in a shop, but the picture was bad, and also due to the splitter, when initially turned on, it wouldn't even display a signal for like 15 secs.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the same problem at Comp USA. They had a wall of LCD screens all off of one splitter and they all looked like crap. the 18.1 inch Sony screens that had DVI in even looked horrible, and at $1500 someone seeing this crap would never want to buy it. Beats me why these companies do this, I guess they only sell to chumps.
The guy at Comp USA had no idea if digital interface was better when I asked him, he just pointed me to a mac and said "That uses digital interface" and expected me to decide for myself. Well I already knew what was better its just fun to see how stupid these people are and know if I got a job there I'd take over. :smile:

Welcome to the end of your life Mr. Intel CPU. Don't worry I promise its going to hurt.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Rofl. many employees don't know jack, and that's why it's fun to get into an argument w/ them.....or play along as if u don't know anything, and then when they try to sell u some expensive piece of junk, and reciting its specs, and why it's bad.:) If I worked there, I'd be the best salesman (or at leats most knowledgeable), but then again, w/ teh knowledge most THGC members possess, they can find much better jobs.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't get a stinking job anywhere. They manager at Electronics Boutique said "you don't have enough experience" aka I knew more than him so he didn't want to hire me. I even helped some lady in the store and when she found out I didn't work there she went and told an employee they should hire me.

Welcome to the end of your life Mr. Intel CPU. Don't worry I promise its going to hurt.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Lol. Really? yesterday I went to Costco, and asked this guy there if I could check out an LCD. he said it wasn't plugged in, so no. I went and checked, it was plugged in so I booted teh computer. Didn't work. I checked, and saw that another monitor was connected to a built in vid card, and this was connected to the agp one. So I unplugged teh other monitor, and still didn't work. The employee came over and said its broken. Then I looked atthe back plug on teh LCD, and jammed it real hard. bam, it turned on! I then gave the LCd employees a lesson about LCD's- response time, contrast, etc. Good thing I look like an 18 year old, not a 14 year old, cause the employess would sure have been peeved if tehy found out!;)

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!

G

Yeah, when I went and looked at all the LCD's, I made them hook each one up individually. I was lucky to get a decent sales reps, though they still lacked the knowledge that even I have (which isn't all that much considering what others at the forums know).

Jack Burton is a great man...

G

Well, the funny thing is that I didn't know jack when I came to this forum, and in a period of just two weeks, I know a lot more. If sales reps at these stores are going to sell LCD's, it wouldn't be hard for them to study a little about them so they can at least give decent support to customers looking to buy one.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well imagine you work at bestbuy and someone asks for a good LCD for gaming and you have to say "I'm sorry I know a lot about these products, and we don't carry anything good for gamers"
because of their ignorance they are able to sell, if they knew what they were talking about they'd send people else where which would be bad for where they are working.

G

??? Do what now? Not every store has crappy LCD's. I went to Best Buy and they even had some good choices.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Very true, hmm, so there really sin't any point in gettin smart people. However, how about when a customer has a problem and they speak to one of the people there. Plus, one should be knowledgeable, cause say some customer goes into a shop and says they saw an LCD w/ something called 300:1 contrast and 50ms response time for $300, and want to know why they should pay more for teh LCD at teh shop that costs $500 and has a 20ms response time and 400:1 contrast.

My rice car will leave your R8500 in the dust!