Jun 15, 2020
CPU: i7-8700k
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Case: Meshify C
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT

Hey all, I'm currently trying to overclock my CPU but I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the temperatures down. When I try to overclock it and run Prime95, it spits out frequent errors and high temperatures (mid 90 degrees C). Right now, I only have two 120 mm case fans installed in my system, so I am going to try revamping my cooling system to see if I can get it to work better. I am planning to have one 140 mm intake fans in the front, and one 120 mm exhaust fan in the back. This also leaves me with one extra 120 mm fan, so if anyone has any suggestions for uses for it, I would appreciate that.

My current problem, however, is that my Le Grand Macho RT is massive, and I can only fit it on the motherboard one way, with the fan facing towards the RAM/Front. This means that it will be going against the airflow of my case. Is this going to be a big problem? The only solution I can think of at the moment is to switch the CPU fan from being an exhaust fan to an intake fan. Worst case scenario, I guess I have to buy a new CPU cooler, in the which case I am open to suggestions :) Thank you for your help!

EDIT: To clarify, I don't think the Le Grand Macho will fit on my motherboard with the fan facing towards the back because of the massive "cover" (for lack of a better term) covering the I/O ports. (The big thing in the top left in the photograph below).
13-119-038-V01.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Just flip the fan over for better airflow. The fan itself is held on with wire clips. Those can be removed and the fans orientation can be reversed.

For case fan orientation, front, bottom, and side fans generally suck cool air into the case (intake).

Rear and top fans are used to suck hot air out of the case (exhaust).

Orient your heatsink fan to "flow" the same direction.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just flip the fan over for better airflow. The fan itself is held on with wire clips. Those can be removed and the fans orientation can be reversed.

For case fan orientation, front, bottom, and side fans generally suck cool air into the case (intake).

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 15, 2020

So it's okay to have the CPU fan intake air towards the heatsink? I thought about doing this, but I wasn't sure if it was okay.