[SOLVED] Leadex V review is surprising

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I didn't find the discussion thread below the review so I am opening a thread here...
Considering how their previous Leadex platinum and Leadex III golds were highely recommended by everyone here, the Leadex V 1000W review is very disappointing. Not sure what they were targetting with the Leadex V series. It is not small enough to fit in SFX case, it is not better in any criteria, not cheaper than any of their previous lineup. Not even complying the latest ATX standard. What's the point?

Solution
They're targeting folks that chase super compact but still, ATX PSUs. And i'm fine by that, someone would make use of a 130mm PSU out there. Even if it's on the loud side because of that and otherwise not really any better than their previous offerings or competition.

What i'm definitely not okay with is 103% OPP/OCP whereas it's practically a standard to at provide at least 20% margin with a modern supposedly high-end PSUs, which means that you're buying say a 750W version of this for an RTX3080 because an absolute majority of other PSUs work at this wattage with this GPU (except for Seasonic) and then it trips. I.e it's not a 750W PSU but rather 600-650W one, or not a 1kW but rather 750/850W one if compared to competition. They had a...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
They're targeting folks that chase super compact but still, ATX PSUs. And i'm fine by that, someone would make use of a 130mm PSU out there. Even if it's on the loud side because of that and otherwise not really any better than their previous offerings or competition.

What i'm definitely not okay with is 103% OPP/OCP whereas it's practically a standard to at provide at least 20% margin with a modern supposedly high-end PSUs, which means that you're buying say a 750W version of this for an RTX3080 because an absolute majority of other PSUs work at this wattage with this GPU (except for Seasonic) and then it trips. I.e it's not a 750W PSU but rather 600-650W one, or not a 1kW but rather 750/850W one if compared to competition. They had a similar misleading rating shenanigans with Leadex II before where say 750W version was rated for 750W only at 230V mains, at 110V it's 650W, they've moved from that with Leadex III but that was written on the label, even if still misleading. In this case it's only apparent by reviews which we've waited for a year since it started selling and still, Aris's review is literally the only review on any Leadex V to date.

And what i'm even more not okay with is the usage of 20AWG wires in PCIe cables. The hell are they even saving there with this ? Half a buck ? On a 300$ PSU ?

This isn't the way, Super Flower. Shell out a whole buck on 16AWG wires to the first connector and 18AWG to second for PCIe cables, in a supposedly high-end PSU you're selling for 300$ and rate it down 20-30%, like from 1kW to 850W. Then it would be a relatively good PSU, worth the trust people are (blindly) putting in this name, even if still overpriced. Right now it's just a scam for people buying PSUs only by the brand.

PS: Also, a gentle reminder that all supposedly high-end Seasonic PSUs, including super expensive Prime TX are using 18AWG wires in PCIe cables whereas Corsair (all high-end series and a relatively budget CX-F), EVGA (high-wattage G6/P6, P2/T2), Thermaltake (pretty much entirety of Toughpower), and high-end Super Flowers (Platinum/Titanium), maybe someone else too, use 16AWG. This is not okay with me either. I can understand that for Focus, but it literally would've costed them nothing for 200-300$ Primes. Half of which are even actually identical components wise to respective Focus models aside for 2y extra warranty and 50% higher price tag. It's just a shameless money grab.

Last edited:
Solution

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
using 20AWG for DC 12V indeed sounds like a fire hazard.. not even safe for 7-8 amps...
It must get quite warm even for a single connector GTX 1660 super. (if the connector is there, there always are folks who use the chained connector)
Which is crazy considering it is a 1000W PSU.

Last edited:

awayagain

Reputable
Jun 27, 2018
@Juular for me i'm waiting to see a review about the msi mpg A1000G
since in my country seasonic evga corsair will never see them their and msi is always avaible

the cooler master v750 and v850 V2 series are also using 16awg