News League of Legends adds unpopular TPM 2.0 requirement — Vanguard anti-cheat update irks fanbase after Windows 11 debacle

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Guys.. what's wrong with these people who decide to cheat in a online game? Is there any other reason than being bad players who had enough of losing and want to have revenge moment through cheating? Like.. if it's a real game where someone is going to profit something from it and said person decide to cheat (secretly) it's still a scum as the online player, but doing it online not even wanting anyone to find out it was you it's like.. dmn get a life people

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Guys.. what's wrong with these people who decide to cheat in a online game? Is there any other reason than being bad players who had enough of losing and want to have revenge moment through cheating? Like.. if it's a real game where someone is going to profit something from it and said person decide to cheat (secretly) it's still a scum as the online player, but doing it online not even wanting anyone to find out it was you it's like.. dmn get a life people
To make people suffer, cry, and fume.

Reactions: thestryker

scottslayer

Prominent
Feb 8, 2023
They already have an AI supported detection and moderation system, why dont they set monitoring on all of the major offending countries+proxies (the usual suspects) for added scrutiny.
When I ran game servers for UT, CSS, CSGO, TF2 a majority of people cheating would only originate from one of four places which made it really easy to tell our staff and set our server tools to watch those people.

It's probably more an issue of techy people (like those on this forum), that happened to get into LoL. I'm in no hurry to put Windows 11 on my daily desktop, but I might try it out on my 2nd PC at work (If I didn't have it on a laptop and know that I don't like it already). That desktop runs an 7th gen i7, so it would require the TPM workaround, IIRC.

In fact, that very computer DOES have LoL installed--so I could see it affecting me.

Like the author said though, it's more of a Windows 11 problem than a League of Legends problem. Anyone who can bypass Windows registry stuff can easily switch to Windows 10. But I'm not a serious player and wouldn't bother.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Surely companies like Riot Games can come up with solutions to problems such as cheating users without harassing their loyal customers?
I used to think that for years regarding DRM. 'member color code wheels? Or typing in words from the manual? Page 17, line 4, word 6...

GOG's (Good Old Games) whole pitch is "we'll sell you games without DRM". And they do. And their entire catalogue is open to piracy.
Yet people still buy the games. Because customers pay and pirates steal and that's how it goes.

Gaming is still a growing business with huge revenues. Annoying paying customers is as pointless as it ever was, yet they still do it.
The only exception is early sales. If a game can be kept protected for a few weeks after release it will earn more as people cave in and buy when they can't find a crack.
This is why it's not only the publishers who screw customers over. People who pirate games are also to blame.

Cheating though, is a completely different animal. Hacking or using cheat codes or screwing with the game is perfectly fine. But for some, they want or need to troll as many people as they can. Part of the fun.
Keeping cheaters and trolls out of games is much harder than it seems because these guys are very motivated and crafty, and because there isn't any effective punishment to act as a deterrent.
These people will troll Steam game announcement comments. You can't win.

AlskiOnTheWeb

Prominent
Mar 4, 2023
You've got to understand ... some people are there just to make sure they ruin other peoples enjoyment of something. They aren't there to win because they want to ... they are there to make sure someone else doesn't. It's a great negative side of many people. So ... you can either complain about the cheaters ... or you can complain about the enforcement to prevent it. Nobody wins either way. When you play these wide open games ... this is what you get. In the good old days when you could host your own server ... you could pick and choose your rules and enforces kicks all your own. It was great. That's really what they need to bring back ... decentralized hosting.