Question League of Legends breaks my entire internet ?

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Playing League of Legends breaks my entire internet across all devices when I exit the match. Here lately my internet has been shutting off for some reason and by shutting off I mean that it will be connected with no internet. I started noticing a trend when I play LoL. When the match ends there is about a 75% chance that the entire internet will stop working on all devices. I use the ASUS CMAX6000 as a router/modem combo. Called the ISP and they said nothing is wrong on their end and its almost impossible to recreate unless I play a 30min plus LoL match. When I am in the match and the internet breaks it will allow me to finish the match even though it says I have no internet, but as soon as I exit the rest of it crashes. I have no other issues playing other games. When I restart my router everything runs fine, but honestly its frustrating that this keeps happening. Thank you in advance for any help.

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @ 5.8Ghz
GFX Card: MSI RTX 4090
RAM: G.Skill Trident z5 RGB 64GB @ 6400 Mhz
Mobo: MSI PRO z690-A ProSeries
PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i 1000W 80 PLUS PLATINUM

Solution
So you say you ran the above commands when the internet was broken, before you rebooted the router to fix it.

If this is true then you actually have internet connectivity and can talk to the 8.8.8.8 ip address.

What is most likely is you have a DNS issue. You can actually talk to a dns server which is what 8.8.8.8 is.

The default method routers run is they run as proxy dns server which then uses your ISP dns server. Both these can be issues. The proxy function is just stupid since there is very little dns traffic anyway and this seem to be bugged all the time. In addition a large part of how "cloud" works is with the DNS actually changing what IP is used for what site from time to time.

So a first test to confirm this is go...

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
I should mention that I logged into my router and I see nothing about how to update Firmware since people keep telling me to do that. I have went into device manager as well and updated the ethernet driver as well, but it says no new updates are found.

my internet has been shutting off for some reason and by shutting off I mean that it will be connected with no internet.
if you are "connected" then you are able to access the internet.
not being connected means you are not able to.
Playing League of Legends breaks my entire internet across all devices when I exit the match...
When I am in the match and the internet breaks it will allow me to finish the match even though it says I have no internet, but as soon as I exit the rest of it crashes.
you make it sound like this is all related to this particular game but then state that your internet cuts out intermittently anyway.

either your ISP is garbage, your modem/router is faulty, or Windows is corrupted.
if it affects all devices on the property then it is either 1 or 2.

Reactions: stonecarver

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
My phone literally says connected without internet. It is a thing.

99% of the time it shuts off at the end of the match like it did just a second ago. I have seen it shut off before end match though.

I know my ISP is garbage, but its really the only viable one out where I live. I have Optimum if that helps any.
I did sfc /scannow and no problems

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Do the following and post the results:

Run the following commands from the Command Prompt:

ipconfig /all

ping 8.8.8.8

pathping 8.8.8.8

tracert 8.8.8.8

8.8.8.8 is targeting Googles' website.

The last two commands will require a few minutes to run.

You can use copy & paste to post the results without needing to retype everything.

Also look in Reliability History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occurred just before or at the time of the "shutoffs".

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.2283]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hopsfy
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-BB-C1-93-CC-F0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::28f5:b091:6610:7328%3(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.91(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 20, 2023 4:49:51 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 27, 2023 4:51:32 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 114867137
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2B-F6-82-BA-D8-BB-C1-93-CC-F0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Windows\System32>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=117

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 21ms

C:\Windows\System32>pathping 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 Hopsfy [10.0.0.91]
1 Docsis-Gateway [10.0.0.1]
2 * * *
Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 Hopsfy [10.0.0.91]
0/ 100 = 0% |
1 0ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% Docsis-Gateway [10.0.0.1]

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Docsis-Gateway [10.0.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 173.219.232.173
4 23 ms 22 ms 21 ms 173.219.218.146
5 23 ms 22 ms 26 ms 173.219.232.220
6 24 ms 24 ms 23 ms 173.219.224.111
7 21 ms 23 ms 21 ms 142.251.64.201
8 27 ms 22 ms 27 ms 216.239.51.145
9 24 ms 21 ms 22 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

This is when my internet is working fine I will post again once it shuts off

Since it affects your phone also this means it is the router having some strange issue or some issue with the internet.
It would be nice if you could update the firmware but the ISP controls firmware on modem/router combo units. That also means it is not likely some simple software bug since many people would have the issue since the ISP keeps the firmware the same on all the units.

When it is in a broken condition can you get into the router menus or is the router hung. The IP address of your router is 10.0.0.1 from your ipconfig posting. That is a unusual IP but that seem to be what it is using.

If you can't get into the router I would suspect a hardware issue.

If you can get in try to check the logs for any messages maybe that will give you a clue.

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Since it affects your phone also this means it is the router having some strange issue or some issue with the internet.
It would be nice if you could update the firmware but the ISP controls firmware on modem/router combo units. That also means it is not likely some simple software bug since many people would have the issue since the ISP keeps the firmware the same on all the units.

When it is in a broken condition can you get into the router menus or is the router hung. The IP address of your router is 10.0.0.1 from your ipconfig posting. That is a unusual IP but that seem to be what it is using.

If you can't get into the router I would suspect a hardware issue.

If you can get in try to check the logs for any messages maybe that will give you a clue.
I am able to get into the router when it is hung.

Does the log show anything.

Most routers have network debug tools. What happens if you run ping or tracert to say 8.8.8.8 from the route itself.
These should also fail if the internet went down.

What would be really strange is if these work and your pc continues to not work.

Also when it broken from your pc test a ping to say

www.google.com and then 8.8.8.8. Now these will be different IP addresses. What you are testing is can you get to the DNS server. 8.8.8.8 does not use the DNS function so if it is a DNS issue that ping will work but anything that uses names will not.

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Do the following and post the results:

Run the following commands from the Command Prompt:

ipconfig /all

ping 8.8.8.8

pathping 8.8.8.8

tracert 8.8.8.8

8.8.8.8 is targeting Googles' website.

The last two commands will require a few minutes to run.

You can use copy & paste to post the results without needing to retype everything.

Also look in Reliability History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occurred just before or at the time of the "shutoffs".
C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::28f5:b091:6610:7328%3
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.91
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

C:\Windows\System32>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=117

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 22ms

C:\Windows\System32>pathping 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

0 Hopsfy [10.0.0.91]
1 10.0.0.1
2 * * *
Computing statistics for 25 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 Hopsfy [10.0.0.91]
0/ 100 = 0% |
1 0ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 10.0.0.1

Trace complete.

C:\Windows\System32>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.0.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 173.219.232.173
4 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms 173.219.218.146
5 22 ms 23 ms 21 ms 173.219.232.220
6 28 ms 23 ms 23 ms 173.219.224.111
7 20 ms 21 ms 21 ms 142.251.64.201
8 22 ms 22 ms 21 ms 216.239.51.145
9 22 ms 22 ms 20 ms 8.8.8.8

Trace complete.

Also Reliability History/Monitor shows no issues at all. This is the log from when my internet shuts off.

So you say you ran the above commands when the internet was broken, before you rebooted the router to fix it.

If this is true then you actually have internet connectivity and can talk to the 8.8.8.8 ip address.

What is most likely is you have a DNS issue. You can actually talk to a dns server which is what 8.8.8.8 is.

The default method routers run is they run as proxy dns server which then uses your ISP dns server. Both these can be issues. The proxy function is just stupid since there is very little dns traffic anyway and this seem to be bugged all the time. In addition a large part of how "cloud" works is with the DNS actually changing what IP is used for what site from time to time.

So a first test to confirm this is go into the IPv4 settings on your nic card and set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 manually. While you are in the setting turn off IPv6 support just to avoid testing inconsistency.

Now this would be a solution for your PC but most phones and other similar devices you can not manually make changes to network settings. Depending on the router see if you can change the DHCP settings in the router so that the DNS it provides your end devices is 8.8.8.8. Again by default the router will give the end devices its own IP address as the DNS server.

If the router does not have these setting I am unsure what to try. Maybe there is a firmware update for the router that fixes some bug in the DNS proxy function. This is such a useless feature that causes so many problems for people.

Solution

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016

So a first test to confirm this is go into the IPv4 settings on your nic card and set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 manually. While you are in the setting turn off IPv6 support just to avoid testing inconsistency.

Now this would be a solution for your PC but most phones and other similar devices you can not manually make changes to network settings. Depending on the router see if you can change the DHCP settings in the router so that the DNS it provides your end devices is 8.8.8.8. Again by default the router will give the end devices its own IP address as the DNS server.

If the router does not have these setting I am unsure what to try. Maybe there is a firmware update for the router that fixes some bug in the DNS proxy function. This is such a useless feature that causes so many problems for people.
I do not see anywhere in router settings to change my DNS. What settings do I put in for the rest of the boxes in the settings for ipv4?

Ralston18

Titan
Cmd prompt is one tool. Router logs are another tool.

Look in the router's logs.

Take some screenshots of any entries referencing anything like "internet shuts off".

Post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

If there are not specific entries that you can identify as "internet shuts off" then just post the log entries from time spans that you know the internet was off.

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Cmd prompt is one tool. Router logs are another tool.

Look in the router's logs.

Take some screenshots of any entries referencing anything like "internet shuts off".

Post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

If there are not specific entries that you can identify as "internet shuts off" then just post the log entries from time spans that you know the internet was off.
There are no logs in firewall, system or event logs in my router settings other than me logging in.

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Leave them all alone. Assuming microsoft did not change the configuration screens again you can just change the DNS part on the bottom and let the IP addresses etc use DHCP. You are only trying to override the DNS.
Currently my DNS is set manually to 8.8.8.8 and IPv6 is turned off. I will update if it goes out again tomorrow.

Ralston18

Titan
This router?

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/cmax6000/helpdesk_knowledge/?model2Name=CMAX6000

User Manual:

From Section 6.6, physically numbered Page 47:

"1. From the navigation panel, go to Troubleshooting > Feedback tab.
2. Click the Generate log and Download File buttons to save the log files.
3. Send the log files to cm_feedback@asus.com.
We will reply to you as soon as possible."

I would expect more log file information beyond just you logging in.

Try the above process. Then copy and paste the last couple of days worth of log entries.

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
This router?

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/cmax6000/helpdesk_knowledge/?model2Name=CMAX6000

User Manual:

From Section 6.6, physically numbered Page 47:

"1. From the navigation panel, go to Troubleshooting > Feedback tab.
2. Click the Generate log and Download File buttons to save the log files.
3. Send the log files to cm_feedback@asus.com.

We will reply to you as soon as possible."

I would expect more log file information beyond just you logging in.

Try the above process. Then copy and paste the last couple of days worth of log entries.
Yes that router. There are 0 logs as ive said.

Hopsfy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2016
Configure the router to generate logs, wait a couple days, then download the logs accordingly.
There is no setting to make them automatically generate that I can find.

This currently seems to be working. Is there any downside to doing this?

It depends if it all works or if your phone is still affected.
I recommend people never run with the router acting as a DNS server and the ISP DNS servers tend to be garbage compared to google or cloudflare.

So for your pc it is a good permanent solution.

Other devices it can be a pain to set them. Apple used to prevent it but I think they now allow it. It is a common to use a DNS server to block ads so of course the greedy phone app companies don't want to allow it.

I think since private DNS came out a couple years ago you can now set the DNS on most devices. Both google 8.8.8.8 and cloudflare 1.1.1.1 support private DNS so it would be a good thing to setup just to use the more secure form of DNS.

There are likely still devices you can not set the DNS and must use the DHCP function to set them. I don't know how you make those work if your router is having random issues with its DNS proxy function.