Leak: Fujitsu Internal Memo Over iPad Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sihastru

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
iPad iTurns iInto iBloody iWar? iBring iIt iOn! iApple iHas iA iHistory iOf iStealing iProduct iNames. iMaybe iThis iWill iMake iThem iChange iIt... iIt iWas iA iSilly iName iAnyway.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Welp all they gotta do is rename it. I'm not attached to the iPad name and it isn't out yet. Good to see one company is letting a large company know before they release a product and before litigation these days. Respect to Fujitsu for that.

Hrm maybee they will rename it to the ipon? Apple, can you toss in Pi-Fi whith the new model? Thanks.

Seriously someone is going to fight Apple for the use of iPad? Really? If I were Apple I would use this as a good excuse to rename the product to iTablet or something that doesn' bring up thoughts of menstrual cycles.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow even the name isn't original.

% of the iPad that's new or original? Zero

[citation][nom]Socnom[/nom]iPad wars, its bloody![/citation]

Win

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
IPHONE was a trademark of Cisco. I am sure Apple will pay their way for the name. People should start putting a option call for AAPL stocks. Going down hill baby...

ca87

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Let the fight begin! Apple is in for a lot! Lawsuit, Hacking, malware and more........The biger u get, the more trouble. The days of reckoning IS HERE, Apple.

hebe

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]JonathanDeane[/nom]Maybe the ipad could be the iPod Max.[/citation]

I think you meant iPod Maxi?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Sadly, Apple will win as media hype has no associated the name with the product so much that they own it by default.
Exactly the same as the iPhone, stolen from Cisco.
If I were Fujitsu I would not agree to an out of court settlement and force Apple to rename.
Someone has to take a stand.
If you count slang and region distinctions there are nearly 750,000 words in the English language.
Put an "i" in front of all of them, remove all the ones that are already taken and pick one, in order to also get iPad the same as Fujitsu, considering previous fubars on product naming, points at this being deliberate. Just how hard can it be to look up a list of all registered trademarks begining the letter "i" and find a word not already used?

iFuckwit (SICK TO DEATH)

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Good luck Fujitsu. iPad is so close to iPod that it could be considered confusing and infringing on iPod. Given that Apple's pattern of iNames was already well established in electronics when Fujitsu initially introduced their iPad, Fujitsu has a difficult road ahead. And all of that ignores the fact the Fujitsu doesn't even have a trademark on iPad yet, someone else had it before them. All Fujitsu has is an application for a trademark, for a product that they've been selling for 8 years, which MIGHT actually infringe on the registered trademark for "iPad" and/or Apple's iPod.

All of that aside, I still think Apple should change the name, "iPad" is just lame. Who cares if Fujitsu or the registered owner of iPad sell iPads?

G

This is all just a marketing ploy.
Steve Jobs approves a ridiculous name already taken by another device.
They make noise in the public eye.
More free press.

Apple changes the name to iSlate, which was the plan all along.
Another round of free press.

Everyone wins.
He's a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.