Leak Reveals Toshiba's Tegra 2, Android 2.2 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
1024*600, trying to save on cost? or is it Toshiba,s thinking that HD is not something that people will want to use for the moment... (see their roadmap for SSDs)

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I really do hope these competitors to the iPad do well. It's going to be hard to compete against Apple's notorious hype machine and their zombie-like followers of unrivalled obedience (stubbornness might be a better word here?). Fingers are crossed.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I would love one of those things!! Imagine, 16gb + SD cards.. I would be using this on plane trips. Anyway, it's Wifi or 3G+Wifi?

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I really do hope these competitors to the iPad do well. It's going to be hard to compete against Apple's notorious hype machine and their zombie-like followers of unrivalled obedience (stubbornness might be a better word here?). Fingers are crossed.

I once heard that if you took a water bottle and slapped a apple sticker on it, then idiots will buy it for 20 bucks.

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
We need an edit button. I want to add that i am waiting for an android tablet that has the following specs:

2GB of RAM, 1- 1.5ghz processor, HDMI output, 1080P screen (this has been available in 15 inch for at least three years on IBM and Sony notebooks), 5MPix camera, 3g and WIFI/N SD and USB slot, and 9 to 11 inch form factor. Wake me up when that happens so it can blow the freakin doors off of the IPad.

ares1214

Splendid
Actually, the resolution is right. IPad is same vertical resolution, but 768 instead of 600 as far as across. The IPad looks wider, so the resolution is about right. The size is good, little bit bigger than the IPad. I would guess Tegra II> the A4 in the apple, so im gonna guess it will be faster and everything. 1.3 MP camera>0 MP camera. Android as a general statement is better than iOS IMO, and 2.2 should widen the lead. Has more connectors and usability it would seem, so if priced right, this> IPad.

G

Whats up with the surge of tablets? Who the heck uses tablets? Any of you guys use a tablet?

ares1214

Splendid
I dont use a tablet, but to be honest, its EXTREMELY niche market. The Ipad costs what, $500 stock, $650 with 3G. For that, you could buy the highest end netbook, even 2 netbooks, or a decent laptop. The tablet doesnt have an advantage over the smartphone you carry in your pocket, or the laptop you carry around with you. Its just priced wrong. At $200, even $300, i might be interested, but 2 times that?! No way...it loses to my smartphone in portability, and it loses to a laptop in computing power and usability.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Now if only I could download a license to my high school text books for say.. a 9-10 month period (No cost to me, the school would foot the bill), and I would snatch this up in seconds. I like the big screen and it would save so much room in my backpack :)

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]snotling[/nom]1024*600, trying to save on cost? or is it Toshiba,s thinking that HD is not something that people will want to use for the moment... (see their roadmap for SSDs)[/citation]

I hate that resolution. I have a netbook, and it makes an incredible amount of applications and web sites near useless. Interestingly enough, it even makes many operating systems irritating to deal with (Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu, and KDE in my experience) as well.

[citation][nom]sirdoug[/nom]Whats up with the surge of tablets? Who the heck uses tablets? Any of you guys use a tablet?[/citation]

I would very much use a tablet for taking notes and drawing if one came out that I liked the capabilities of. For a 'casual web browsing experience'? Nah, not really. But one I could use a decent stylus with for sketching and jotting notes down in class? For the right price (heh), in an instant!

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
All you tablet haters need to understand - it is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Here in Asia the iPad is out of stock. You have to be put on a waiting list to get one and the list is getting longer. Those of us who spend a lot of our time commuting appreciate a convenient form factor device that will allow us to browse the web, e-book read, and play a few cheesy games to while away the time. Those of you dissing the specs saying that you can get a more powerful Netbook for half the price don't understand, I don't need a keyboard, I don't need a powerful CPU, I don't need a fully fledged OS - I said - all we want to do is surf the web and read stuff to while away the time - so we can do away with the keyboard and make it touch screen, and give it a longer lasting battery. Oh that's a tablet isn't it? Yes, we have made an informed decision and we really DO WANT a tablet. Please don't mock us.

G

SirDoug, I use a tablet every day. I have an Ipad and it is the second most used device in our house. Our phones are first. Ipad second. Win7 laptop third. 3 desktops fourth. TV fifth and gaming consoles sixth. My kids and wife use the Ipad all the time. It's the only Apple device we have but it is great for what is really is (within the limitations it has).

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I'll wait to see what HP is able to do with Palm's WebOS. You only need to focus on what people are really going to use it for. That is what Apple has done with the Ipad, it is a well balanced device focused on what tablet buyers are going to use it for most.

G

[citation][nom]Euphoria_MK[/nom]3 hours battery life and applications running at sub-average performance. Yeah! I am so excited!.....[/citation]
I am disappointed by the display (which is about just as bad as the iPad's display), but besides that, I don't see what makes you think that this tablet will be sluggish or have a 3h battery life. I use Froyo on a phone that has a very tiny battery and less power under the hood than a Tegra2 and it works nicely already, so I expect that this will be more than enough for what we do on tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.