Leaked AMD '09 CPU & Chipset Roadmap

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I thought AM3 cpus is suppose to be able to work with AM2+ boards

G

"introduce slightly higher cock frequencies and larger caches."

Interesting information...

It's saying that you can't use AM2/AM2+ CPUs on AM3 boards. It didn't say that AM3 CPUs can't be used on AM2 boards so we'll have to wait and see on that.

I wanna see that 3.0 GHz phenom to upgrade from my 5000X2

Niglex

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
[citation][nom]newbfy[/nom]"introduce slightly higher cock frequencies and larger caches."Interesting information...[/citation]
Yeah I'm kind of afraid of how "powerful" these things will be ;)

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
"The AM2+/DDR2 Deneb 45nm processors have been specified to support only dual-plane motherboards. These processors will exceed current specifications when paired with a single-plane board."

But how can we tell if a board is single-plane or dual-plane?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Cool I hope to upgrade with a AM2+ 3 Ghz Phenom X4 TBD (Deneb).
I think that dual plane motherboards are the ones that currently will take the high TDP 125 watt or higher Phenom X4 9850 BE's or the 9950BE's.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
so funny that this is coming out at the same time as the article about the Intel guy secretly working for AMD
mmmm, makes you wonder

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I thought the higher wattage processors was based on the number of phases in the power circuitry and the number of planes had to do with which portions of the processor had independent control over its own power. ie. could shut down certain portions of the cpu when not in use.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]crazyhandpuppet[/nom]"The AM2+/DDR2 Deneb 45nm processors have been specified to support only dual-plane motherboards. These processors will exceed current specifications when paired with a single-plane board."But how can we tell if a board is single-plane or dual-plane?[/citation]

Simple: AM2+ is dual-plane. Regular AM2 is not.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
so I've been thinking. The last time AMD releases an FX series processor was at the end of the X2's reign. (I know, it wasn't much of a "reign"). But, the FX's were known for OC'ing, etc. We all know that the current Phenoms don't OC well , and subsequently, AMD did not release the FX series. Could this mean that AMD has a good OC'ing chip on their hands, or are they just releasing one to release it? If AMD is releasing it because it has a high starting clock, and can manage a large overclock, I'm in. Ill take one.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
So I have to wait at least until June 09 to get a complete AMD system.

Feb - “Deneb” Quad-Core 6MB Shared L3 AM3
Jun - RS880G

And I hope I don't have to wait till SB850 to overclock the processor

jawallace-45

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
On Expreview.com they have RD890 and RS880D with SB750 for the Performance chipset for AM3 motherboards,that could be out in March at CeBIT when they will bring out the DDR3 125W Deneb CPU chip, that from Vrzone. com. Expreview.com they have RS880G on the SB710 come little later on same as Tom'hardware time frame for AM3. Where AM3 motherboards will add SB8xx come round 3rd Quarter of 09, about year after SB750.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jawallace-45[/nom]On Expreview.com they have RD890 and RS880D with SB750 for the Performance chipset for AM3 motherboards,that could be out in March at CeBIT when they will bring out the DDR3 125W Deneb CPU chip, that from Vrzone. com. Expreview.com they have RS880G on the SB710 come little later on same as Tom'hardware time frame for AM3. Where AM3 motherboards will add SB8xx come round 3rd Quarter of 09, about year after SB750.[/citation]
So how did the 45nm overclock with a SB750?

nezuko

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I want to know the review of Athlon X2 6500. googling and just found those 2 review. One is simulation only. And the other one just give graphic bar benchmark. No explaination at all.
Hopefully Tom's Hardware will test this proc.
Just curious how this Phenom based dual core perform compare with AthlonX2 architecture. Since it included SSE4A. and with all 2MB L3 cache which may be an advantage for this proc.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]j3pflynn[/nom]Dual plane motherboard? What does that mean?[/citation]

The board can send different voltages to different parts of the CPU to shut parts of it down at idle, I think.

G

They're probably speaking of the ground plane on the PCB. My guess is they're splitting the power bus for the reason FSXFan stated, or they're just using it to deliver more power. It's not really anything fancy.

G

The lack of dual cores until H2'09 is troubling. The original K10 dual core (65nm) was scheduled for Dec'07 (way back when prior to the Sept07 K10 launch) - then it was Q2'08... now H2'09?

It makes me wonder if K10 is not much better than K8 when it comes to dual cores. This is still the bread and butter of the desktop market and the lack of urgency in getting dual core K10's out makes me wonder if they will be any significantly better than K8's. Don't get me wrong, K10 has some nice scaling and power features which are great for servers... but where are the K10 dual cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.