Leaked Asus Z390 Motherboard Pics Show DC DIMM Support

lun471k

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
Samsung's huge choke on production will hurt us again, sigh. I'm not too fond at the idea of a new memory type, but it's still sad that this new market could be hindered by a monopoly.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
It's non JEDEC. It's going to be expensive on top of the already-high RAM prices that Samsung is intending to keep high. I can maybe see having the DC DIMMs for professional workstation boards because those buyers may have a justifiable business need, but not for a mainstream Z390 board.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
People can't afford even 16GB of ram because of Samsung and others price fixing the DRAM and now openly stating that they will slow down production to "adjust to demand" (aka. keep current fixed prices) and now mobo manufacturers are adding useless slot for some overpriced high capacity ram sticks nobody seen before.

popatim

Titan
These non-open standard formats rarely catch on industry wide.
I don't see this one going anywhere in the normal consumer market since there is no need for them.

Add in that Optane DDR4 dimms will be available soon in up to 512GB sticks, are faster and have twice the error correction of ECC, this isn't going far in workstation market either.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The tall DIMM's remind me of a double decker bus. Might as well call this RAMBUS 2.

"It's too early to tell if the DC DIMM format will catch on."

No, it's extremely safe to say it won't catch on. Workstation users who would want this feature will likely get an 8 DIMM motherboard anyways... Consumer 4x16GB/64GB of RAM is a $600+ proposition, workstation/server grade 32GB DIMM's are $500 EACH, and consumer processors like the 8700K only support 64GB anyways. If you're willing to blow $2,000 on RAM alone, you're not likely going to use a Core series CPU and consumer motherboard either.

The reason people don't have more than 64GB of RAM isn't due to DIMM sizes, it's due to cost and need. I rarely have a use for even 32GB of ram for various editing tasks, and while I accept there are people who have a legitimate NEED for more than 32GB of RAM, most of those users will likely be on a Xeon or X-Series Core CPU with 8+ DIMMS capacity anyways.

This is targeting a fringe group of users who have enough money for a LGA2066 build, but don't want a LGA2066 because... well I can't think of a reason. And I'd imagine the market can't either. I have no idea why they came up with this unless it has a direct server/workstation spinoff with proper ECC support.

stdragon

Admirable
That form-factor will not be CPU HSF friendly for many of the aftermarket solutions that are available. Definitely something to think about before purchasing them.

antonysg77

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017
Most people have 4 memory slots, out of which 2 or 3 remain, because they prefer to wait, as memory prices are very high right now. This product is dead on arrival.