[SOLVED] Leaked batteries from 1994 laptop

Jake Joris

Prominent
Sep 18, 2019
hello, a weak ago i received toshiba laptop from around 1994. And i noticed that the main and resume batteries have leaked. I believe the main battery is either nimh or nicd. The resume battery is made from 6 1.5v nimh or nicd coin cells. I red somewhere that the nicd battery leaked substance is dangerous and i touched that substance atleast 10 times. What should i do with the batteries?

Solution
Well if you eat it by the spoon, you may not wake up again.
Its not that explosive dangerous, but must be avoided to conserve your general health.

Nickel is a known devil to most humans, as it causes allergic reactions, itchy and red skin.
Even wrist watches in stainless steel could cause this, as stainless steel contains some nickel.

Cadmium is a nasty heavy metal and should be contained as well.
NiCd batteries is considered chemical waste and must be treated like that, never thrown in the waste, even if its a small dead coin cell.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Well if you eat it by the spoon, you may not wake up again.
Its not that explosive dangerous, but must be avoided to conserve your general health.

Nickel is a known devil to most humans, as it causes allergic reactions, itchy and red skin.
Even wrist watches in stainless steel could cause this, as stainless steel contains some nickel.

Cadmium is a nasty heavy metal and should be contained as well.
NiCd batteries is considered chemical waste and must be treated like that, never thrown in the waste, even if its a small dead coin cell.

Reactions: Jake Joris
Solution