Leaked Intel Roadmap Details New Fall Core CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]AMD is dead, they should just give up instead of confusing the market with their continued pathetic existence.[/citation]

The moment AMD stops selling cpu's is the moment Intel will increase its prices by 200 percent. Without competition, Intel can set whatever price it wants.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]AMD is dead, they should just give up instead of confusing the market with their continued pathetic existence.[/citation]

AMD i know for a fact is solely working on bulldozer its a rebuilt CPU (not a phenom) with a ATI 5770 video card ON die!, this is going to KILL intel in games and in photoshop, bulldozer will also work in CF with any other 5xxx series card and 6xxx series card using GPU parallisation.
The Bulldozer will Smoke the Core i7 and Core i9 in games, AND there is a rumour also that they are going to let the GPU do some FPU if this si true its good bye intel for the CPU performance crown, and its coming out Q1 2011

G

killerclick
Dude, go back to your Intel fanboy base. If you think AMD is crappy, have some logic behind it you clueless dolt. And don't respond with that Intel has faster processors bs becuase they both cater to different markets. And how theu f are they "confusing" the market? Its very existence is stopping Intel to have a monopoly on CPUs and therefore charging w/e the hell they want to.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]The moment AMD stops selling cpu's is the moment Intel will increase its prices by 200 percent. Without competition, Intel can set whatever price it wants.[/citation]

So what, I got money.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

c'mon now... you deserve to be slapped. In anycase it is an interesting road-map, but none of it sounds spectacular (must have). but then again, I'm not into mobile platforms from either AMD or Intel, i thought this was the Desktop road-map when i opened the link, not the mobile.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Eugenester[/nom]Dude, go back to your Intel fanboy base. If you think AMD is crappy, have some logic behind it you clueless dolt. And don't respond with that Intel has faster processors bs becuase they both cater to different markets. And how theu f are they "confusing" the market? Its very existence is stopping Intel to have a monopoly on CPUs and therefore charging w/e the hell they want to.[/citation]

Before you're so critical, try to be smarter.

Intel processors are roughly the same size as AMD, and perform a lot better. And i7 9xx and Phenom quad are very, very close in size. But, not in performance.

AMD is forced to be a bottom-feeder because of this reality, not because they chose to go after a different market. If they made a chip half the size that was cheaper, great. It's the same size, but it's just badly designed and has to be sold at low margins because it's inferior.

But, Killerclick is maybe more clueless. I don't know why he thinks AMD is confusing the market. Intel does that by itself. i7 860/870 cross i7 930. i5 670/680 cross i5 750. Some i5s are quads, some not. Some i7s are real Nehalems, some are Lynnfields. Then they have the i5 750s, which doesn't clock the same as the i5 750.

To me, AMD makes a Hell of a lot more sense than Intel.

No one was telling Intel to leave the market when they were producing the Pentium 4. AMD sells junk processors now, we all know that. We all knew that Intel sold junk with the Pentium 4. Did that mean they couldn't come out with something better? So why assume AMD can't? At least AMD knows they sell rubbish and price it accordingly. Intel was still overpriced when they sold the Pentium 4.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]AMD is forced to be a bottom-feeder because of this reality, not because they chose to go after a different market. If they made a chip half the size that was cheaper, great. [/citation]

AMD is forced to make great, affordable, quality chips? Wow, how horrible for them. Apparently Intel could use some forcing too.

twbg4cq

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Ok, normally I'm able to swing with the punches when a company starts doing weird things with product branding and model number's, but this one is a bit confusing for me, so some comments or an explanation would be much appreciated.

I thought the "i7" brand was reserved for procs described as having quad/hexa cores with 8/12 threads, but if I'm understanding this article correctly, they're saying that now intel is making a mobile version of i7 that only has 2 cores?

I mean, I agree that sub-25 watt power consumption is impressive, but if this really is a dual core system then I wouldn't be surprised if someone ends up buying a laptop thinking they're getting the power of 8 threads at 25watts or less to then find out they essentially have half that power...

Your thoughts everyone?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]So what, I got money.[/citation]
More money than brains that's for sure. You speak through your @$$. Intel hasn't dropped its prices in what 3 years? Core2duo's are still the about same price as the originals.

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I mean, the desktop version BEFORE 2012[/citation]
Magny cours is not bulldozer. It's still based on the AMD K10 45nm. The stepping is identical to the Phenom IIx6. So, I guess they already have. What you want is bulldozer and Zambezi.
If I am mistaken and magney cours is bulldozer, I am very disappointed with the performance per core.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]So what, I got money.[/citation]
Yeah, because everyone cares about you and how rich you are. You got the money to buy everyone else in the world a new CPU?

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]AMD sells junk processors now, we all know that. We all knew that Intel sold junk with the Pentium 4. Did that mean they couldn't come out with something better? So why assume AMD can't? At least AMD knows they sell rubbish and price it accordingly. Intel was still overpriced when they sold the Pentium 4.[/citation]

I was with you until this last portion of your analysis. AMD makes junk, really? Talk about clueless. Lower price does not = junk.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I'm a bit disappointed by this road map to be honest. I'm waiting for a Nehalem based Hexcore processor from Intel that is actually reasonably priced(sub $400) before I ditch my Q6600 and build a new rig. I was hoping the Phenom II x6 would push Intel but it doesn't look like that is coming any time soon.

I really don't understand Hardware fanboism. It's not like you directly interact with the product or anything like that. Buy what suits your needs best. If you need raw horsepower, get Intel. If you want performance on a budget, go AMD. I don't get fanboism over something that you buy and stick in your machine never to see it again.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Everyone likes to talk trash talk AMD because their pride is still hurt from the Pentium 4 and Pentium D era. They just can't let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.