News Leaked internal reports allegedly reveal Intel's instability problems are not over — elevated voltages could be only one of the causes of CPU crashing

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I think 1.55v is erring on the side of performance. 1.5 max requested would probably be better and 1.4v would be safe so long as the motherboard weren't cranking the volts with some auto tuning.

I also don't think it is the only issue as the unlimited power and poor motherboard "stock" behaviors are still out there. That and motherboards can give more volts than requested by the CPU. Really need to get motherboard vendors in line.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
Using the latest bios with the intel default specs shows the predicted voltage for 6GHz, which is the stock boost clock for the 14900K, is 1.609V. lol. That is nuts. In comparison, 5.3GHz is just 1.22V and 5.7GHz is 1.44V.

I decided to set a per-core max multiplier of x57 and disabled TVB. So it works like normal but doesn’t try to pull over 1.6V for an extra 300MHz in lightly threaded applications.

The “big numbers” marketing is what’s leading to all these problems. All core clocks are set to 5.7GHz anyway. 6GHz+ is only when a couple cores are being used. And it’s really not worth such a big voltage spike. Should have just advertised it as 5.7 or 5.8GHz and left it at that.

May 21, 2024
I dunno about it just being a voltage issue. Didn't Intel and MB manufacturers decrease the volts in their updates and still the issue persisted?
the newer chips like rpl has power gates located inside the core for each core, therefore a low latency when the core needs high freq requesting high voltage will happen within the core itself. MB bios is basically setting the range of voltage and power allowed to supply to the chip externally, where the power gates in core is controlled by microcode only.