News Leaked Presentation Shows Intel's 'Arctic Sound' Xe Graphics Cards With up to 4 Tiles, 500W TDP

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
500W.......wow.... But I am fine with that power consumption as long as performance is there.... If it could be 2x that of 2080ti, 500W is actually very very good.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Btw, I won't be surprise if this card sucks at gaming and its not intended for gaming...... Maybe its meant for AI and something to compete with tela.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel announced they will present details on Xe at GDC 2020, March 16..20,

"This talk will provide a detailed tour of the hardware architecture behind Intel's upcoming GPUs - unveiling the structure behind its building blocks and their performance implications."

Reactions: bit_user

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
There is no way this is 2x2080 Ti. Imagine that its true, Nvidia and AMD would be out of business.

New entrants to the market generally need to be at least 30% better than the dominant player in order to successfully compete. Ampere is said to be 50% faster than Turing so I would say 2x2080 Ti is where Intel needs to be.

New entrants to the market generally need to be at least 30% better than the dominant player in order to successfully compete. Ampere is said to be 50% faster than Turing so I would say 2x2080 Ti is where Intel needs to be.
But that's not happening because the high TDP parts are rated 48V and are targeted for non-gaming tasks. 2x2080 Ti is not possible with 7nm and as a first dedicated GPU ever for Intel.

But that's not happening because the high TDP parts are rated 48V and are targeted for non-gaming tasks. 2x2080 Ti is not possible with 7nm and as a first dedicated GPU ever for Intel.

A lot of people thought Core 2 wouldn't be able to beat K10. K10 lost. People thought AMD would never catch up to or beat Intel. Intel is currently being beaten in the consumer markets pretty heavily.

Intel has a lot of IP to use, especially in graphics, and they have a lot of decent talent to work it out. While 2x a 2080Ti is probably not possible in the same thermal envelope higher could possibly do it. However I doubt this 500W card is meant for anything other than HPC and AI tasks. Consumer level will probably peg at 300W although PCIe 4 may increase the wattage pull from cables.

Consumer level will depend on a lot, like if Intel can get their drivers to a better level and more consistent releases. Considering how big their software and driver teams are I think they can.

All I hope for is a third competitor to keep Nvidia in check. AMD isn't pushing Nvidia as hard as they are Intel right now so having a third player can do nothing more than help.

Reactions: Zizo007
A lot of people thought Core 2 wouldn't be able to beat K10. K10 lost. People thought AMD would never catch up to or beat Intel. Intel is currently being beaten in the consumer markets pretty heavily.

Intel has a lot of IP to use, especially in graphics, and they have a lot of decent talent to work it out. While 2x a 2080Ti is probably not possible in the same thermal envelope higher could possibly do it. However I doubt this 500W card is meant for anything other than HPC and AI tasks. Consumer level will probably peg at 300W although PCIe 4 may increase the wattage pull from cables.

Consumer level will depend on a lot, like if Intel can get their drivers to a better level and more consistent releases. Considering how big their software and driver teams are I think they can.

All I hope for is a third competitor to keep Nvidia in check. AMD isn't pushing Nvidia as hard as they are Intel right now so having a third player can do nothing more than help.
Yea the max for 12V in the article is 300W. Consumers PSUs are 12V. So Intel's 300W won't be 2x2080 Ti.
Also cooling 500W would be a problem for consumers, it would require a water chiller. 500W can heat a small room in winter, my bathroom heater is 500W.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
When did Intel lost its track soo bad that it code named its "first" (atleast in recent years) discrete GPU "Arctic Sound"?

A GPU, "Sound" <- really ? :)
Cute, but as you probably know, a sound is also "a large ocean inlet or deep bay".

Your question made me wonder where Arctic Sound actually is. It seems to be on the north coast of Canada, in Nunavut.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/arctic+sound/@67.7671066,-99.992375,6z

Ponte Vecchio is a famous bridge, in Italy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_Vecchio

Last edited:

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
A new article presents leaked info on the Xe HP architecture.

"Intel Arctic Sound Xe HP GPUs have 512 EUs on a single tile, 4-tile variant to have 2048 EUs and up to 16,384 cores"

btw, the Xe HPC Ponte Vecchio GPUs have 16 chiplets. (tiles?).