Leaked Qualcomm Roadmap Shows Mid-Range and High-End ARMv8 (64-Bit) Chips Will Arrive In 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Where are Qualcom's Custom ArmV8 Cores? they hold the IP license to make their own stuff, yet they are using turn key solutions in this entire roadmap.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Where are Qualcom's Custom ArmV8 Cores? they hold the IP license to make their own stuff, yet they are using turn key solutions in this entire roadmap.
The story I heard was that Qualcomm decided to scrap their upcoming custom design back around the launch of the A7 and start over pretty much from scratch. Apparently Apple's ARMv8 architecture sort of caught them off guard, along with most of the industry. The rumor floating around was that Qualcomm's next custom architecture, which at the time was already pretty far into development, would ultimately be a lower performing design than the processor in the A7, and to top it off it would still be 32-bit. So I guess Qualcomm decided to just cancel this intermediary architecture, which would be faster than Krait but still 32-bit, and jump straight to 64-bit ARMv8. The last I heard they'll be relying on ARM's Cortex A57/A53 through 2015, with their custom ARMv8 architecture launching sometime in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.