News Leaked Raptor Lake Specs Show More Cores, Higher Power Draw

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
Way way way too much power. I was annoyed at AMD's power creep with Zen4 and Intel comes on the stage and says 'Hold my beer'.

My new build is likely to be running 12th gen or Zen3.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Way way way too much power. I was annoyed at AMD's power creep with Zen4 and Intel comes on the stage and says 'Hold my beer'.

My new build is likely to be running 12th gen or Zen3.

I suspect this is only going to get worse. Back just 10 years ago it wasn't a big deal for the node sizes to shrink 8+ nm each generation. Now we are down to 1 or 2 each generation. The only way to achieve more performance without more transistors is to crank up the clock speeds (or increase the die size, though there seems to be no appetite for that).

Feb 26, 2022
Why are you quibbling about less wattage than i have in my Dining room lights?

Computers can still use a less than 500 or 400 w power supply unless you are using a
High end gaming card full tilt and clocked.

So a hundred watt power range difference is nothing compared to the rest of the components.

Why are you quibbling about less wattage than i have in my Dining room lights?

Computers can still use a less than 500 or 400 w power supply unless you are using a
High end gaming card full tilt and clocked.

So a hundred watt power range difference is nothing compared to the rest of the components.
Alot of the issue has nothing to do with actual power consumption, because as you say 50-100w really wont cost much in the long run.
The issue is with compatibility with other hardware. A high draw processor limits motherboard and cooling options, resulting in more money spent to just get baseline performance at stock speeds. There are also other minor concerns like the amount of heat being dumped out of the case.

I personally would rather use a processor that I can keep in check thermally with modest hardware than having to limit myself to high end coolers just to run the thing stock. My PGE bill isnt a deciding factor in that.

Sep 8, 2022
Intel is just repeating the same thing over and over, "just throw more power at the problem until it solves".
they really should make some actual changes to the CPU and make it more efficient to be able to compete with AMD's 7000 series.
as an Intel fan I am really disappointed and I think AMD's 7000 series better than the 13900 in every way.
I personally have a power hungry 12900k and I regret it. Intel please make better CPU's. stop being lazy.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Alot of the issue has nothing to do with actual power consumption, because as you say 50-100w really wont cost much in the long run.
The issue is with compatibility with other hardware. A high draw processor limits motherboard and cooling options, resulting in more money spent to just get baseline performance at stock speeds. There are also other minor concerns like the amount of heat being dumped out of the case.

I personally would rather use a processor that I can keep in check thermally with modest hardware than having to limit myself to high end coolers just to run the thing stock. My PGE bill isnt a deciding factor in that.

OK. Perhaps you can tell us which high end CPU (should include GPU as well) has modest power consumption?

Regarding cooling and board. Who pairs a budget cooler and board with a 5950x or 12900K?? Do you see people buying A520 boards for 5950x? Do you see pple buying H610 boards for 12900K? EVen if there are, its extremely rare and not typical of end-user scenario.

If you are talking about processors that needs to have specific power/thermal limits, there are such processors from both camps. Eg. 35W 'T' variants, laptops have 'H' series around 45W, then 'U' series 15-25W etc...of course, they aren't flagship processors with lots of cores.

OK. Perhaps you can tell us which high end CPU (should include GPU as well) has modest power consumption?

Regarding cooling and board. Who pairs a budget cooler and board with a 5950x or 12900K?? Do you see people buying A520 boards for 5950x? Do you see pple buying H610 boards for 12900K? EVen if there are, its extremely rare and not typical of end-user scenario.

If you are talking about processors that needs to have specific power/thermal limits, there are such processors from both camps. Eg. 35W 'T' variants, laptops have 'H' series around 45W, then 'U' series 15-25W etc...of course, they aren't flagship processors with lots of cores.
If you compare previous generations, its the trend of increased power thats apparent.
A 9th gen i9 (top of its time) only had a 95w TDP. Why is it excusable that a 12th gen tops out at 241w on official specs, with instantaneous loads even higher? Arent things supposed to improve efficiency over time?
Its also not about "low end" coolers, but rather what can acceptably be used.
You could build a low profile mATX/ITX system with an i9 packed inside just a few years ago with a large number of modest coolers, yet now the same processor line demands only the biggest and baddest coolers on the market.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
If you compare previous generations, its the trend of increased power thats apparent.
A 9th gen i9 (top of its time) only had a 95w TDP. Why is it excusable that a 12th gen tops out at 241w on official specs, with instantaneous loads even higher? Arent things supposed to improve efficiency over time?
You could build a low profile mATX/ITX system with an i9 packed inside just a few years ago with a large number of modest coolers, yet now the same processor line demands only the biggest and baddest coolers on the market.

I have to say you are wrong about 9900K's power consumption. No doubt Intel rated its TDP at 95W. But thats not the peak power consumption of the CPU. 95W is just the PL1. There is still a PL2 and is around 210W. Why 9900K appears cooler? Thats only because Intel has limit the period a CPU can run under PL2. So, after some time, it will fall back to PL1. For Alderlake, the CPU can now run in PL2 indefinitely as long as board and cooler allows it.

If you are talking about efficiency..... 12900K has 8P cores and 16E cores while 9900K has 8 cores. Pl1 is 125W, 30W more than 9900K.

WE are no longer in the days where TDP is the max power conumpstion a CPU can have. Now with mult-core CPUs, voltage and clockspeeds are constantly adjusted to stay within a pre-defined limit.

Feb 26, 2022

You have to remember several things. One; No CPU runs full blast all the time even in gaming. Modern CPUs respond to demand and have for a long time. Two; efficiency is about more throughput per wattage not less electricity. The maximum wattage is maximum used not what it uses all the time, and as pointed out by others here it is very close in the 9th gen to 12th. Three; depending on how much you are wanting to overclock the I9 can go from a fan cooler, if you want to turbo boost and or use Intel boosting tools to achieve max overclocking for that cooler, all the way to overclocked with a 360 cooler or even more extreme methods for test beds using again, Intel tools or more aggressive methods. 12th gen I9s have been built for anywhere from notebooks, NUCs or ITXs and industrial boards to Desktops and mid towers like I have (overclocking not needed as of yet).

Of Course there is nothing wrong with following the favorite phrase of Tim from the old show home improvement "More Power!" However I suggest you use a little more restraint than he did.

A high draw processor limits motherboard and cooling options, resulting in more money spent to just get baseline performance at stock speeds. There are also other minor concerns like the amount of heat being dumped out of the case.
Baseline performance is still at 125W so that is not more than before unless you go way back.
You can't get the full blown full power performance but the baseline is guaranteed at 125W.
The 9900k would hit 250W at 5ghz, and as already said it did have fewer cores as well.
So 241W for more cores and the same 5Ghz all core clock for the main cores is a decently big improvement.
And as an added bonus you don't even have to lose your warranty anymore to run it at 5Ghz all core.
tdauREAwqYvHhsTjDHesSH-1200-80.png

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

TDP isn't power consumption, TDP and power consumption are different metrics. The 12900k with a 125w TDP cooler on a 12900k it will run just fine and will hit your typical benchmarks you find online. The 241 really is the maximum it will pull for the full PL2 duration (which is typically short, like less than 1 minute). Intel CPUs have had PL2 ratings of over 200w for the last 4 generations. This hasn't change, Intel has just made the number more transparent. You can "uncap" Alder Lake CPUs to run at PL2 forever if you have enough cooling, but this gets into overclocking and that doesn't sound like the use case we are talking about here. For gaming and low thread count software (99% of what consumers use) these CPUs are drawing 50 to 100 watts.

TRENDING THREADS