Leaked Slide Shows Intel Haswell Set for March-June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Seeing a slide like that make me think that hitting a dead body is kind of useless..

Today AMD have troubles to keep general performace with the current Sandy-Bridge. Ivy-Bridge will be better and it's coming.. in less than a year and half will be an Ivy-Bridge upgrade?

AMD really need to run at fast pace. really fast..

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I'm guessing it'll most likely be july, actually, going by the 1 year and three month diff b/w SB and IB.

I wonder what Haswell brings to the market though. 14nm sounds cool enough for now :D

G

AMD is dying in the desktop world, and it will continue, unless it can bring something that works as good as what the specs said originaly.

when sandybridge came out so cheap it realy affected AMD. the performance you get from a sandy is way more. did gaming fps with 2600k and FX-8150. the amd had 3-8 fps drop compared to the sandy.(tested with gtx 260 and 8800GT(lower cards make the difference clearer).

when it came down to Rendering the sandy beat the Bull with 2-6 minutes to spare for the same job. which is a big difference for me.

so yea, amd realy has to pull the thumb out their ass and fix their shit.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Yet another socket? I remember why I hated Intel :p
Sucks that I really need to upgrade my old AM2 system, so it'll probably be Ivy Bridge for me and then I'll have to throw it all out and start over in a year or two...

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I'm guessing it'll most likely be july, actually, going by the 1 year and three month diff b/w SB and IB.I wonder what Haswell brings to the market though. 14nm sounds cool enough for now[/citation]

Haswell is not 14nm. Its a new architecture on the same process node of ivybridge (22nm).

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Really doesen't matter how you slice it. I have many system. I just got a amd F1 system to run a server, Its slow and pathetic, while I still have a 775 system with the extrime cpu that is still comparable to the first gen I5 and I7 not Sandy Bridge, I have that too. its awesome.
Either way AMD is no longer a factor.
SAD, I like them both. I never obsessed on one or the other. I worked with both on many levels.

The only reason intel is still keeping with the road map is to prove Moores Law which also is no longer a factor.
So you guys who say ARM will destroy intel. Your dead wrong there too. Haswells version of the atom will run all known architecture and be just as efficient.

I have said this before and some of your bashed it good. But Qualcomm will end up buying AMD>
Look for soon as they now have some cash instead of dept.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I'm guessing it'll most likely be july, actually, going by the 1 year and three month diff b/w SB and IB.I wonder what Haswell brings to the market though. 14nm sounds cool enough for now[/citation]
Haswell will be 22nm, Broadwell (the haswell refresh) will be a die shrink, suspected to be 14-18nm.

This is what I love about Intel; you know what is coming and can plan ahead for your upgrades! With AMD you never know when something is going to be released until it is 1-2 months away, and you never know what type of performance you will be getting. I don't mean to knock AMD that hard, they have a few good products left, and have been a great innovator in the past; but until they get their act together they are going to have some heavy competition on the low end with ARM and Atom chips, and they have allready lost the battle on the high end to Intel. Heck, they have already lost most of the budget race to used Intel equipment that is a few years old and is still faster than budget Phenoms... It's a truly dark day for an otherwise great company

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
What will Qualcomm do by buying AMD, it is not for the x86 license,is it?

IIRC there was some part of the deal between AMD and Intel that said the x86 license wasn't transferable in the event of a sale or something along those lines. Although it is possible a court could force a transfer as part of an anti-trust ruling after the fact.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
For people who QQ over getting new MB, its very simple you want the latest options you can't get on your current one without installing PCI card, otherwise you can keep your SATA II and USB 2.0 .

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]target3[/nom]should i get the Intel Core-i7 3930K now or wait for Ivy bridge?[/citation]

If you only game, Ivy Bridge unlocked i5 is all you need. If you do image manipulation, encoding, compiling, or service hosting, I'd still probably say get a Ivy Bridge i7. The price markup on SB-E puts it price / performance way off of the main line chips.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]Tick: WestmereTock: Sandy BridgeTick: Ivy BridgeTock: Haswell[/citation]

Ticks are new architectures, tocks are die shrinks, Westmere was the Nehalem die shrink, so Ivy Bridge is a tock and Haswell is a tick.

As a general note, Haswell is not meant to boost per thread performance much, and it won't be a 6 core processor either from earlier press releases. It is meant to be more power efficient than the SB chips so they can make a strong ultrabook push.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Is anyone else tired of the socket changing every time they release a new cpu?

@Zanny Tock's are new architectures actually. Its reversed for some reason. Strange I know.

TheViper

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Ticks are new architectures, tocks are die shrinks, Westmere was the Nehalem die shrink, so Ivy Bridge is a tock and Haswell is a tick.[/citation]
I thought the same thing.

The phrase is "Tick Tock"
So "Ticks" would the new architectures while "Tocks' would be die shrinks of that architecture.

But apparently Intel is notating it based on the manufacturing process, not the microarchitecture.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/silicon-innovations/intel-tick-tock-model-general.html

That sounds backwards to me but whatever works for Intel.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Ticks are new architectures, tocks are die shrinks[/citation]
Actually, it's the opposite. I have no idea why Intel says Tick is when they die shrink, but that's the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.