Leaked water ontop of GPU

brandonl2748

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Last night, a nightmare of every custom PC water cooler came true for me, my watercooling loop leaked. This was 100% my fault, for incorrectly screwing on the fitting after I flushed my loop. The fitting that came loose, just happened to be on the CPU block, which is right overtop of my GPU.

Water leaked on the backside of my graphics card (it has no backplate). I didn't realize this was happening (as I was watching a movie) until the screen started tiling, my computer froze and displayed the Windows Blue Screen for a second and shut off completely. I looked inside and saw a puddle of water sitting ontop of my GPU. I scrambled to unplug it, and as I was doing this, it sparked.

It's now the day after, I cleaned everything up, reassembled my loop (this time assuring I had the fittings on correctly) and started it up without the GPU in it.

Everything works fine, as I have given everything ample time to dry, including the graphics card. No burn marks or water damage is present on the GPU.

I am scared to plug it back in to see if it works, as it might spark and damage other things in my computer, but I'm unsure.

What should I do?

Solution
Well if you saw sparks you may have killed the GPU, I highly doubt trying the gpu again will damage anything I would think if that was going to happen it would have happened when the gpu initially sparked. Personally I would definitely try the gpu but I cant say with absolute certainty that it wont damage anything else.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well if you saw sparks you may have killed the GPU, I highly doubt trying the gpu again will damage anything I would think if that was going to happen it would have happened when the gpu initially sparked. Personally I would definitely try the gpu but I cant say with absolute certainty that it wont damage anything else.

Solution

Petarded

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
When my wife spilt a pint of Coke through my top , it covered motherboard,and gfx. I cleaned with Electrical contact cleaner from motorfactors and waited 48 hours. Rebuilt and still workin 1 year on :) mind you one pci-e slot failed.