Leap Motion Releases Updated VR Mount For Retail VR HMDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
If it doesn't work in room scale VR no deal. How am I to track my hands if I turn around and move away?
Solve that and we might have a deal. Full VR or no VR.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

I don't understand what the concern is.
The Leap Motion gets attached to the front of the HMD. No matter where you are looking, you'll have hand tracking in front of you.
It comes with 15-foot cable precisely so that you can use room-scale.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I don't understand what the concern is.
The Leap Motion gets attached to the front of the HMD. No matter where you are looking, you'll have hand tracking in front of you.
It comes with 15-foot cable precisely so that you can use room-scale.

You don't always need hand tracking in front of you in room scale VR look at space pirate trainer for example. if you only have tracking infront of you "you're Going to have a bad time."
It would work good for things like job simulator though.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Leap Motion isn't capable of scanning an entire room like lighthouse is.
You wouldn't use Leap Motion for space pirate trainer.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Yes I understand it can only be used for your hands when they are in front of your face. Some games require your controls to be in front of your face but most games/room scale games do not. Room scale or not with VR the big thing is having freedom to move your head around and look at things. If you are limited to only look at what your are currently interacting with it takes away from that experience.

This feels like it would be useful for Rift user's but not as much for Vive users.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It can be good depending on the level of tracking. For example, a game can have you interact with more intricate objects, e.g., turning dials, pushing buttons.

Good hand and finger tracking means that you can interact with things without having to have a special activate button, instead, you will have a physical hand that will try and match yours in the real world, it can auto activate when it comes in contact with something.

Imagine playing a flight sim, and being able to push every button, and flick every switch.

Sitarow

Commendable
May 22, 2016
A simple fix to that is to have both hand tracking with Leapmotion and location tracking with controllers as one would with tools.

An good example of this is Altspace VR with VIVE and Leap Motion Orion

"Bleeding edge: Leap Motion Orion + Vive controllers in AltspaceVR!"

Status
Not open for further replies.