Question Learning resources on computer architecture ?

us0110

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
I recently began learning IT and that includes computer architecture, but am having trouble with understanding the material.
I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of some instructional videos or other materials that explain it.
I am having the most trouble with understanding busses.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As in serial and parallel buses? Or the various bus technologies they still make people study for some reason. PCIe and SATA has been the standard for long enough now that coming across a parallel bus would be quite an event today. Certainly possible in industry, but it would certainly be a legacy system.

I imagine you can find videos for all of that stuff by typing in the various technology names. Are you studying using Comptia or some other IT standard? Generally searching for videos or books on those topics will be more directly useful. Wikipedia will have detailed information about them as well. You can also look up the IEEE classifications, though only some bus types are commonly referred to as such. Firewire got stuck with 1394 for example in writings.

us0110

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
As in serial and parallel buses? Or the various bus technologies they still make people study for some reason. PCIe and SATA has been the standard for long enough now that coming across a parallel bus would be quite an event today. Certainly possible in industry, but it would certainly be a legacy system.

I imagine you can find videos for all of that stuff by typing in the various technology names. Are you studying using Comptia or some other IT standard? Generally searching for videos or books on those topics will be more directly useful. Wikipedia will have detailed information about them as well. You can also look up the IEEE classifications, though only some bus types are commonly referred to as such. Firewire got stuck with 1394 for example in writings.
It should be about serial busses. I might be wrong about things, because I am learning in another language and the terms are different, but only one kind of bus was mentioned.
I don't what it is called in English, but we were taught about command execution and how it works. What should I search for to find explanations about:
fetch instruction, decode instruction, calculate operand, fetch operand, execute instruction, write operand? What is the correct term for that?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds more like memory addressing related things such as storage, memory, or cache, or computational features as related to computer science.

Instruction cycle is probably closer to the subject. Or perhaps data pipelines.

I recently began learning IT and that includes computer architecture, but am having trouble with understanding the material.
I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of some instructional videos or other materials that explain it.
I am having the most trouble with understanding busses.
The YouTube channels Tech Quickie, Tom Scott, and Computerphile could help you get started. There's plenty of others, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

There's also always Wikipedia.

It should be about serial busses. I might be wrong about things, because I am learning in another language and the terms are different, but only one kind of bus was mentioned.
I don't what it is called in English, but we were taught about command execution and how it works. What should I search for to find explanations about:
fetch instruction, decode instruction, calculate operand, fetch operand, execute instruction, write operand? What is the correct term for that?
The term you're looking for is pipeline. Specifically a processor pipeline.