Least expensive new car?

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
These are technically the cheapest, but some are not that good, and most are japanese.

Chevy Cobalt isn't on that list because of it's cost to buy, but when you factor in maintenance, it is cheap to own. The base packages on most cars are really cheap compared to the standard and higher performance packages. Mustangs can be cheap.

gazfast

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Don't know about the USA, but world's cheapest is the Tata Nano, built in India.

This is a genuine stripper, just a couple of seats under a roof, with low cost, low power engine, I have heard it described as a scooter with a roof.

Cheap can mean many things, what do you need it to do - for example a Ford Fiesta might be low priced, but if you need soemthing that can tow a trailer, then it is no good, and you are better off buying a larger, more powerful car, like our Aussie Ford Falcon, which will pull a triler all day, every day.

another example might be a commuter car, in which case the Smart is the best bet, or a Peugeot or VW diesel, or even a Fod Focus diesel, rather than a medium or large car.

Enjoy.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah but that's just a terrible car. Unless you live alone and don't buy anything bigger than a sandwich.

gazfast

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Terrible by our standards, but exactly what the Indian market demanded, you are right, I would never buy one, but then I have the luxury of a house with a roof, bedrooms, lounge room and much more - this is for a large group of people who would be ecstatic if they had guaranteed access to clean water on a daily basis.

As I said previously, it is all about the right product for the right market.

findcarparts

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hyundai Accent Blue which cost $10,690 is I think the cheapest car in the USA. The mileage is amazing and runs very smoothly on road

gazfast

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Dp you have the i30 there yet?

We got it as an Accent replacement, a brilliant little car which is now also carving a niche for itself in racing and rallying.

gazfast

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
except for the boot area, so much unnecessary padding and cladding around th erear pillars, like staring down a tunnel in the rear vision mirror, and it eats into the available space.
a bare bones Falcon wagon has more space, and goes pretty well, and is a bit cheaper.
Mind you, would still go for a Kia Rio for a town car, or the c'eed if we could get the diesel version.

ButterFinger74

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

A friend of mine has a 5 years old Accent with 180K miles on it and still run pretty well. Not bad for a $10K automobile.

pc-nut

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
a base model 2011 Chevrolet Cruz is only about $17.000 in Canada, so it's probably cheaper in the US, i have heard good things about this car for fuel mileage and driveability, if i had the means i would most likely buy this car. But as mentioned above, it really depends on what you want to use it for, as it is not vary powerful (1.6L 4cylinder turbo)

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I bought a brand new Yaris last year (2010) and love it. It ran us only about 11k after all of our deductions and we pay 0% for life.

Its a basic model no power windows, sun roof etc. Gets good gas mileage and hasnt needed any work.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I did end up getting a used car, because I happened to be able to get a family member to give their's to me when they decided to move overseas... However, I was EXPLICITLY asking about new cars...
Things have changed much in 2 years...

CarClubIndia

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
The easiest way to get huge discount on new car you should contact with different car dealers to make your new car least expensive.