Question Leave -12V blue wire intact or cut and shrink tube to match system board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2021
Hello folks. This is my first time on here and my question may seem simplistic or naïve, but here goes.

I'm replacing a failed psu in a lenovo ideacentre b510-7712 all in one. The original psu had no blue
wire -12V, pin#12, in the 20 pin connector. Nor did it have a white -5V wire pin #18 in the connector.
The replacement I bought, does have a blue, -12V wire in the #12 position but still no -5V white wire.

Question one is, will putting a psu with negative voltage harm my motherboard? Can I just cut and
insulate the wire? Is cutting it even necessary?

If anyone has any information they could share, or any experience with the Ideacentre b510-7712
all in one, boy, would i like to pick your brain. It's been a great machine up to this point.

Question two is, this machine being an all in one desktop pc, with absolutely no video-out ports, that I
can see, how could I see q-codes, etc., from bios?

I found a used original psu that I'm afraid to use for very long and I get to the Lenovo logo splash screen, where it immediately shuts the system down,
then continues this in a loop, continuously until I get tired of it or it quits by itself.

It would be nice if I could see what codes are being set but no display.

I don't get any beep codes, unless I take all of the memory modules out. I'm not sure if this has integrated graphics, but I have no idea how to switch to
it.

I'll leave specs below.

Thank you to anyone, in advance who takes time to read this and may have some advise or can point
me in the right direction. New parts, manuals are impossible to find except lcd display units.

Obviously this is an end of support machine. I'm no expert in this field, just a dad trying to get my boy, who is on
the spectrum's gaming pc up again. Spec's to follow.

Lenovo:
MTM: 7712-XF2
Configuration Number: 57125274
S/N:
Product Family: Ideacentre B510
CPU: C i7- 870S 2.66
HDD: Hitachi 2T- 7200rpm
RAM: 8G

It has a Sumida PWB-IV80080T/B1-E-LF inverter and an LG-LM230WF1(TL)(E3) LCD-display panel.

I also wanted to thank Darkbreeze for the motherboard bench test thread. That sure helped me to
not condemn my motherboard. So Thank you. Have a great day folks.

Whoops! I forgot to mention, this has an ATI-AMD OEM graphics card in a big pci-e? slot.
ATI/AMD card No. 109-C7637-00B.

[Note: Moderator edit to break up continuous paragraph.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2021
I apologize for the previous two posts.
I understand that everyone was really busy with the holidays upon us. And, as someone mentioned, I was asking about an "ancient machine". I will try to be more relevant in the future and will update my equipment just as soon as I hit the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.