[SOLVED] Leave voltages on auto in bios - i7 11700k

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Hi everyone. I just bought i7 11700k cooled by Noctua NH-D15 and i want to ask - should I change something in BIOS - like limit voltages? ... Which is already set up on auto by deafult. I dont want to overclock.

Solution
So, only offset change?
That's all really...
Well, there's AVX offsets. Auto setting for that should be 0, but if you're having trouble with taming the heat, work your way up to -3.
Also, for the cpu temperature limit, why not set it to 90C? Just because it's technically ok running higher than that, doesn't mean you have to let it, right?

Voltages are preety ok, but on HW Monitor I saw it peaks 1.405V, but for a second.
It's absolutely safe for the cores to boost up with that briefly, drop back down and go to sleep.
If they're sitting up there instead, then that's a problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Turn on XMP for the ram.

Find the cpu's Vcore setting in bios. Change to Offset mode, and enter a negative value around 0.050 - 0.100.
Auto Vcore was reported to be unusually high on Z590 motherboards(if you're using one), so you should be able to apply a -0.100v offset without issue.
Future bios updates are likely to have improved the voltage curves, so you'd have to turn down the offset after that.

Reactions: vladakv

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Turn on XMP for the ram.

Find the cpu's Vcore setting in bios. Change to Offset mode, and enter a negative value around 0.050 - 0.100.
Auto Vcore was reported to be unusually high on Z590 motherboards(if you're using one), so you should be able to apply a -0.100v offset without issue.
Future bios updates are likely to have improved the voltage curves, so you'd have to turn down the offset after that.

Thank you for answer. Yes, I'm using Z590 Torpedo with latest BIOS.
So, only offset change?
Voltages are preety ok, but on HW Monitor I saw it peaks 1.405V, but for a second.
I guess with this offset change it Will be ok.
I'll report it later.

Edit: on iddle voltages are low 0,4-0,6V with 32-34 iddle temps. But, on HW monitor I saw on maximum readings 1.405V - not all time. Is it normal?

Last edited:
There might bea few moments of time where a higher core voltage is output for a boost in clock speed, and , a brief overshoot a microsecond before load is applied , or after load removed where the voltage has a slight spike just prior to voltage reduction, and, would be quite normal...

Reactions: vladakv

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So, only offset change?
That's all really...
Well, there's AVX offsets. Auto setting for that should be 0, but if you're having trouble with taming the heat, work your way up to -3.
Also, for the cpu temperature limit, why not set it to 90C? Just because it's technically ok running higher than that, doesn't mean you have to let it, right?

It's absolutely safe for the cores to boost up with that briefly, drop back down and go to sleep.
If they're sitting up there instead, then that's a problem.

Solution