Question Leaving desktop unplugged for about 3-4 months

Sten7981

Prominent
Jul 8, 2020
Hello everyone

I am not an expert in hardware so please excuse my ignorance.
Would like to ask whether it is okay to leave desktop PC unplugged for a long period of time (3-4 months) as I am planning to go abroad
In 2020, because I was stuck abroad because of Covid restriction, I left my PC unplugged for about 9 months and still running fine.

However since then, in 2021 I added M2 NVMe SSD for the main system drive, and read that it may lose data or get corrupted if left without power for too long.
And now I am planning to go aboard again for about 3-4 months, and wondering whether I should leave it plugged in through the power regulator.
My Mobo ASUS TUF Z-370 pro gaming has lights indicator, and the Power led lit up when left plugged in.

Should I leave it plugged in, or unplugged it. There won't be anyone I can ask for help to regularly turn it on and off I am afraid.
Thanks
Sten

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not an issue usually. The only thing at risk being the bios battery.

SSDs will generally not start to loose data until closer to a year without power refresh (decent SSDs anyways).

Just because the pc is not running, doesn't mean it's off. As you can see, it's still 'on' just in Standby mode, like a TV still has power when the screen is off.

The only consideration for 'on' or 'off' status is your power grid. If the house has somewhat regular power outages, spikes, brown outs etc. I'd unplug if any of those happen with any frequency. Otherwise, an unattended pc is at the mercy of the power company.

Sten7981

Prominent
Jul 8, 2020
Thank you for the reply. Yes I am aware that power is still supplied even though the PC is turned off.
2 years ago when I left it unplugged for 9 months, it did drain my CMOS battery and just got replaced 2 months ago.

So, from your suggestion if my power grid is pretty stable, it is okay just leave it plugged in for 3-4 months while I am away correct?
The power grid seems reasonably stable, my power regulator doesn't show fluctuation very often

Thanks