[SOLVED] LED Displays, Image Persistence, and Screen Savers

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I've been using a screen saver on my nice IPS ultrawide monitor to prevent image persistence. I always watch movies or play video games for an hour every day. I'm guessing image persistence without the screen saver in this situation would be negligible, correct? Out of curiosity, does a screen saver put any more wear and tear on a monitor than using that monitor without a screen saver since the pixels are changing much more than they otherwise would be? Do these things vary among IPS/TN/VA panels?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Hi I've been using a screen saver on my nice IPS ultrawide monitor to prevent image persistence. I always watch movies or play video games for an hour every day. I'm guessing image persistence without the screen saver in this situation would be negligible, correct? Out of curiosity, does a screen saver put any more wear and tear on a monitor that using that monitor without a screen saver since the pixels are changing much more than they otherwise would be? Do these things vary among IPS/TN/VA panels?
Thanks!
"I'm guessing image persistence without the screen saver in this situation would be negligible, correct? "
Correct

"does a screen saver put any more wear and tear on a monitor that using that monitor without a screen saver...
Hi I've been using a screen saver on my nice IPS ultrawide monitor to prevent image persistence. I always watch movies or play video games for an hour every day. I'm guessing image persistence without the screen saver in this situation would be negligible, correct? Out of curiosity, does a screen saver put any more wear and tear on a monitor that using that monitor without a screen saver since the pixels are changing much more than they otherwise would be? Do these things vary among IPS/TN/VA panels?
Thanks!
"I'm guessing image persistence without the screen saver in this situation would be negligible, correct? "
Correct

"does a screen saver put any more wear and tear on a monitor that using that monitor without a screen saver since the pixels are changing much more than they otherwise would be?"
Not in any significant way that it should shorten the life.

"Do these things vary among IPS/TN/VA panels?"
Not as far as I know.

I run lots of displays at work...some with screen savers....some without...and the vast majority of them last a very long time either way with little or no visible effects.

Solution

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks jay. Forgot to mention using the computer most of the day with the taskbar doing its thing down below and the desktop doing its thing all over the... well the desktop... which I'm guessing is totally compensated for by the movie/video game at night with regard to image persistence