Question LED Driver as PC PSU?

anotthatgreatdane

Reputable
Nov 15, 2019
Hi i am looking to build and htpc. i am looking at power supplies and thinking i might go external. PC ones are pretty steep so i found a 12v 400w LED driver. Could that function as a power supply with the right plug and a board?

KR Fred

driver link

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose it depends on the circuity. Won't have all the protections that ATX comes with necessarily, may not have standby circuitry and work with the computer's soft switch.

For an HTPC, nothing wrong with lower PSUs, I have a 350W silverstone chassis, bronze supply. Been running for years with my low-power system. (i3-4130T, GT1030)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Plenty of ways to do it, but the cheapest is going to be picking up an ATX power supply. There are certainly weird ebay ones out there, and even kits you can build, but quality is anyone's guess.

Expensive, but fun ways, there are 400V DC power supplies that have DC-DC modules that will output 12V, or 5V, or whatever at extreme amperages, My long term plan to fit a MicroATX board in a Dual G5 Mac I have laying around. Don't really feel like trusting a 15 year old flatpack power supply, but I also want to leave the case more or less intact except for I/O and motherboard mounts.

Reactions: anotthatgreatdane

TRENDING THREADS