Led in fans

Dec 31, 2018
Hey guys, led light has stopped working in 2 of my 3 cooling fans, all 3 were working, then the top one went out, I opened up the case and gave the wires a juggle now the second led light in the fan has stopped working, has anyone come across this before and does anyone have a solution, fans are working fine, it's only the led lights that seem to be built into the center of the fan, I'm a nube and not PC tech savvy so I don't understand all the technical jargon, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Solution
Possible, but considering it's the lighting, which has the same power source as the fan, it's improbable. You'd have to pull the back off the fan, chase the led wiring into the motor housing etc.

My biggest concern is that it affected multiple fans. If these were RGB fans, not led fans, and had a separate wire connector just for the RGB, then I'd say there could be an issue with whatever is supplying the lights, but most led fans are an all-inclusive design with just the one connector to the mobo.

kurulay5

Honorable
Sep 17, 2018
the leds in the fan might just be really bad and have died quickly due to just being bad or being on all the time
and maybe the wiring is messed up dont be afraid and try to push the wires in properly
remember to turn your pc off and unplug ALL wires before you even try to mess with the inside of a pc

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The leds are in parallel, so only one will burn out at a time. The issue will be inside the motor housing where power to all the leds is split from the fans power input. There's often a controller board or resistor inside the fan motor to regulate power to the leds. If that burns out, all the lights turn off. This doesn't affect fan operation as the fan is on its own power, not part of the led side.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Possible, but considering it's the lighting, which has the same power source as the fan, it's improbable. You'd have to pull the back off the fan, chase the led wiring into the motor housing etc.

My biggest concern is that it affected multiple fans. If these were RGB fans, not led fans, and had a separate wire connector just for the RGB, then I'd say there could be an issue with whatever is supplying the lights, but most led fans are an all-inclusive design with just the one connector to the mobo.

Solution