[SOLVED] LED light strip on old motherboard

Jan 19, 2022
I recently bought a new case that has a window for my PC and its kinda dark when its turned on.

I was hoping to get some cheap LED strips that will plug into the motherboard and have since run into some trouble.

My motherboard is the MSI Z97M-G43 (quiet old I know) and it doesn't seem to have any of the cable slots that are on these LED strips (although I could be wrong)

Does anyone know if there are any LED RGB strips that can fit this motherboard or even any that plug directly into the PSU? I would prefer if they can change color via software but a remote is ok as well.

Thanks a lot :)

Motherboard for reference
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97M-G43/Specification

Solution
The first photo just lists all the different connections they have for sale
possibly but their title mentions multiple connectors together and the images i saw showed a single SATA to 4pin female that looks like it connects to the 3pin cable.
didn't spend much time looking at it because it is an off-brand generic product that i would never recommend anyway.

if you go with a nice SATA powered hub you will have options in the future to add more devices; aRGB fans, coolers, more strips, etc.
read your motherboard manual.
there will be an image showing the board and all headers and listing their names and uses.
if 3pin aRGB or 4pin RGB exist you will see them listed there.
though i doubt many, if any, older Z9* boards offered them yet.

it's possible you could find a single color strip powered by molex or SATA power but you may have to do some intensive searching/shopping to find one.

would this work as an adapter?
that's an odd design;
SATA > 4pin female > 3pin male.
i would be wary of it working correctly and how well it may stay connected considering it needs two interfaces that are known to come apart easily.
i also don't see any way to control the LEDs that would be connected.

i would aim for something more like a SATA cable that ends in a single 3pin aRGB male connection.
aRGB gives much more options for patterns, individual LED colors, etc.

you may even find a nice SATA powered aRGB hub that would allow multiple 3pin devices to be connected.
many of those for example will come with a remote control or an attached controller that will allow setting different colors and patterns.

The first photo just lists all the different connections they have for sale
possibly but their title mentions multiple connectors together and the images i saw showed a single SATA to 4pin female that looks like it connects to the 3pin cable.
didn't spend much time looking at it because it is an off-brand generic product that i would never recommend anyway.

if you go with a nice SATA powered hub you will have options in the future to add more devices; aRGB fans, coolers, more strips, etc.

Reactions: cowlol6
Solution