LED Monitor randomly going black

demonslayer157

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Greetings, I have an old HP Pavilion 22bw monitor that I recently pulled out of storage for use as a second monitor for my PC, it's developed an interesting habit of randomly going to a black screen, the power light remains on though I am unable to power the monitor off through the usual button. Only after unplugging and reconnecting the power supply does the thing come back to life. It seems to happen at random intervals, though if I leave it off for a while it seems to last longer, becoming more frequent the more I attempt to use it. I've tried multiple power supplies, HDMI, DVI, lowering the brightness in case its a capacitor issue, different resolutions, etc. Any insight or thoughts would be wonderful, I'm fairly sure its not my PC as my primary monitor functions without issue. I'm aware that its likely just a hardware issue and the thing should just be thrown out, but I'm reluctant to give it up that easily.

Thanks in advance

had similar issue with this Samsung 24" I got from a customer because of that problem. couldn't see any domed or popped capacitors so I decided to replace 2 caps at a time to see if corrects problem or not & the 1st 2 I replaced solved the problem & have been using it since 4+ years ago.

demonslayer157

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017

So you think it is likely a capacitor problem? How difficult of a fix/is it worth attempting for someone with only a small amount of experience working with electronics

it depends on you as I have 30+ years in the electronics field. my 1st 19" monitor was a combination of parts from 2 different Samsung models to make this Frankenstein. I used that monitor til I got this 24" Samsung from the customer.

demonslayer157

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Well I appreciate your time and input, I'll pull the thing apart sometime soon and see how far I get, if I mess it up its not like the thing worked right in the first place =)