Question LED software interference after installing new GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

skabbo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
So this isn't a huge problem, as it really only affects the CPU cooler LED, but I'm genuinely curious what happened to cause it..

I'm running a Gamdias CHIONE M2-240R as a liquid cooler for the CPU, as well as their lighting hub which uses the 5V 3-pin addressable connector on the motherboard. I'm using one of their compatible motherboards (ASRock X570 Taichi) which allows the hub to synchronize lighting across multiple elements (RAM, case fans, CPU cooler, etc). The build was made with an Asus ROG Strix 2080ti, and all lighting worked as intended.

Yesterday, I replaced the 2080ti with an MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio after getting a 4k TV and wanting something with a little more umph (and an HDMI 2.1 port). I got the thing plugged in, it magically [barely] fit in the case, and after powering it on, there was great rejoicing that I could enable HDR on 4k games in YCbCr 444 10bit.

Now for the odd bit. Asus 'Aura' RGB lighting control launched upon Windows launch - a program which came with the GAMDIAS cooler (though the 2080ti was the only Asus component). It also came with ASRock's Polychrome Sync, which can be used to do things like correlate any LED component to the temperature of a given sensor (I have my Corsair keyboard turning gradually from green to red as the GPU heats up - a feature which still works. What doesn't work is the LED on the CPU cooler. The LEDs on the fans connected to the radiator work fine, and they're part of the same component, but the LED on the actual CPU water block is just switched off. I messed around with settings (originally the keyboard reading the GPU temperature didn't work either, but some tweaking in Polychrome Sync fixed that, so the GPU tempterature is being measured accurately), but to no avail regarding the CPU LED. Fortunately the water pump is still working (cause it gets HOT pushing 60+fps in 4K, even water-cooled), but nothing I do seems to get the LED to turn back on.

I know, this is not really a big deal - most would say not even worth the number of words I've devoted to it, but odd little mysteries like this bug me, so I figured I'd see if anyone had run into something similar, or knows why it might be occurring. Thanks in advance.

I gave up with LED control software. I was using gigabyte's RGB Fusion 2.0 and it kept messing with my whole system!? I was getting crashes, my SSD and M.2 would 'go missing' in the BIOS, it was a nightmare! So, just uninstalled it and everything has worked fine since, gigabyte have since done updates to their software but am reluctant to try it again.

Reactions: skabbo

skabbo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I tried updating Polychrome, but it says it's the latest version.
I downloaded Afterburner, but they've split out their functionality into two programs - Afterburner seems to be solely for monitoring temperature, GPU and mem clock speeds, screen capture, and voltage control. Then the second program is called "Dragon Center", which contains the control for the GPU lighting. It can also switch between a few color profiles (gaming, balanced, creator, and custom), test your internet connection, set up screen recording, and a "Mystic Light" mode which lets you set LED color for the GPU, RAM, keyboard, and headphones. Unchecking "Overwrite other LED programs with Mystic Light" was how I eventually got Polychrome to reflect the GPU temp in the keyboard color. Using Mystic Light, I was only able to set it to random patterns (rainbow, fire, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.