[SOLVED] LEDs on fans are lit before PC is powered on, and there's no display signal ?

May 15, 2021
I just finished a new build. I have Aorus Master X570. For cooling, I have an EKWB pump, with Corsair QL Series Fans being fed into a single hum.
When I turn on the PSU the LEDs turn on for all the fans and the EKWB pump. What's also weird is the fans start spinning at a very low RPM. When I hit the power button on the PC everything comes alive like I'd expect, except with no display output. If I power the PC down, these LCDs stay on with the same low fan RPM. What's also weird is the Debug Error code stays on after powering down as well.
I'm assuming the lack of output to my display may be more related to this MortherBoard/Power issue rather than an issue with the GPU.

Build:
  • Aorus Master X570
  • Ryzen 5900X
  • GB Aorus GeForce RTX 3090 Xtreme Waterforce WB
  • EVGA Super Nova 1000 G5, 80 Plus Gold 1000W (Fully Modular)
  • G.SKill Trident Z neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32Gb (2x16GB). DDR4 3600
  • Samsugn 980 PRO M.2 2280 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe 1.3C SSD (MZ-V8P3ToB/AM)
  • CORSAIR QL Series iCUE (6 Fans)
  • EKWB Custom Loop
Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I'm just not sure where to go from here.

What is currently showing on the LED 7seg is AE which is supposedly a legacy boot. But keep in mind, after a power cycle this LED stays lit with this code even after powering it down (But leaving the PSU on). I've tried flashing the BIOS and I think I did it correctly But again, without an output display is tough to tell.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Solution
May 15, 2021
Welcome to the forums!

Does the motherboard definitely have the latest BIOS when you flash it? The board requires at least BIOS F30 to run a 5900X.

Following that I would always first cover this, even if you have covered them before, as it does cover the majority of these issues and it never hurts to triple check - then feedback after trying:
"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)
Thank you! =) I "THINK" it does. At least I tried following the steps to flash it with the most recent BIOS. But without an output display, I'm not sure how I would know. In addition, it seems like even with a 5900X I should at least boot into the BIOS menu? Am I wrong on this?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
it seems like even with a 5900X I should at least boot into the BIOS menu?
No. Because without the correct BIOS in place, your motherboard doesn't actually know what the "thing" sitting in your CPU socket really is, it can't communicate with it. No BIOS compatibility = No functioning system at all.

You should be able to tell on the AM-X570 through these steps, you need to make sure that no CPU is installed AT ALL when you do the flash - I've highlighted key points:
5-1-3 Using Q-Flash Plus A.
Before you use Q-Flash Plus, follow the steps below in sequence:
  1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
  2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin. Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system.
  3. Insert the USB flash drive into the white USB port on the back panel.
  4. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector.
B. Using Q-Flash Plus Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB flash drive on the white USB port.

The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 2-3 minutes and the LED will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.

• Before using the Q-Flash Plus function, make sure that your system is off (S5 shutdown state).
If your motherboard has a BIOS switch and a SB switch, reset them to their default settings. (Default setting for the BIOS switch: Boot from the main BIOS; default setting for the SB switch: Dual BIOS)
• After the main BIOS is flashed, the system will reboot automatically and then DualBIOS™ will continue to update the backup BIOS.

After completion, the system will reboot again and boot from the main BIOS.

Q-Flash Plus will update the main BIOS only if run without the CPU installed.

The system will shut down upon completion.

May 15, 2021
No. Because without the correct BIOS in place, your motherboard doesn't actually know what the "thing" sitting in your CPU socket really is, it can't communicate with it. No BIOS compatibility = No functioning system at all.

You should be able to tell on the AM-X570 through these steps, you need to make sure that no CPU is installed AT ALL when you do the flash - I've highlighted key points:
Thank you! Based on what you provided I did not flash it correctly. I never saw the blinking light (I didn't rename the file). I followed these instructions and still had issues. That clearly led me to there having to be something other than the BIOS. I grabbed a backup 500Watt power supply and plugged in only the motherboard. BIOS flashed as expected. Now with the BIOS flashed, i tried the other power supply and it just clicks endlessly when I turn on the PC (with only the motherboard plugged in). It looks like the PSU might have been DOA.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you! Based on what you provided I did not flash it correctly. I never saw the blinking light (I didn't rename the file). I followed these instructions and still had issues. That clearly led me to there having to be something other than the BIOS. I grabbed a backup 500Watt power supply and plugged in only the motherboard. BIOS flashed as expected. Now with the BIOS flashed, i tried the other power supply and it just clicks endlessly when I turn on the PC (with only the motherboard plugged in). It looks like the PSU might have been DOA.
Sounds like it. The SuperNOVA G5 is still a good line so just bad luck potentially. It's worth just getting the replacement(y)

May 15, 2021
NEW PSU, Flashed BIOS (which were known issues) and I am still not sure what is going on. The LED troublshooting is output an 0x07 which googling suggests is a DRAM issue. Also, the "GPU light" on the motherboard is on, suggesting the GPU has an issue. Maybe these issues go in a different thread?! But thank you for getting me this far.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
NEW PSU, Flashed BIOS (which were known issues) and I am still not sure what is going on. The LED troublshooting is output an 0x07 which googling suggests is a DRAM issue. Also, the "GPU light" on the motherboard is on, suggesting the GPU has an issue. Maybe these issues go in a different thread?! But thank you for getting me this far.
Have you tried breadboarding the system yet?
I assume the new PSU is adequate for the system?

May 15, 2021
Have you tried breadboarding the system yet?
I assume the new PSU is adequate for the system?
I did slowly go through and breadboard the system. Even with everything un plugged I (including the GPU) I still have an 07 error with the GPU light on showing there is an issue. Which I believe might be correct? I think the light would be on if it is just unable to detect a GPU.

And yes, I actually had another 1000W EVGA 80 Gold. Long story, I had concerns about the validity of a seller so purchased a second one from Amazon as a backup. Good thing I did!!!

I've tried moving the DRAM to different slots with different DD4s (purchased and one's pulled from my other PC).

The other wonderful issue is due to the way I mounted the GPU, I cannot just mount another GPU without disassembling my loop. O, the fun!!!

May 15, 2021
It was a GPU issue. With a working PSU and an updated BIOS the old GPU booted up just fine. I need to see if it was just a mounting issue or a bad CPU.

Would anyone have any input if I can boot my 3090 into BIOS without hooking up the watercooler? I have a front mounting kit. I want to bypass this and put the GPU right into the motherboard and see if it boots into BIOS.

Update: I went ahead and just turned it on with the 3090. It is definitely a GPU issue. RIP 3090. Hopefully, they'll replace instead of just offering a refund.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021
@PC Tailor Thanks for at least getting me through the BIOS boot. I wouldn't have made it this far without your help. What is the chance, two solid manufacture of parts having an issue? Built lots of PCs and haven't ever had a faulty part.