Left click once, then mouse buttons stop working.

evrh2299

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
After starting up the pc I can left click one time after signing in, I know this because I can open the start menu. But after I click once, all of the buttons on my mouse stop responding. The mouse still moves around on the screen, and the scroll wheel works fine, but clicking and right clicking does absolutely nothing. I can restart the computer but the same thing happens. Everything was fine until I came back from a trip that lasted a few days. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
on the page before the login screen, click the power button
with shift key held down, click restart now
this will load advanced startup

see if same thing happens in safe mode:
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

I expect it won't though.. likely either a driver or another startup program at fault.

Any software updates recently?

See if you can set PC up for a clean boot while in safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows - careful to not turn off all Microsoft services.

what that does is shutsdown any non Microsoft...

kjeldgaardklan

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018

Colif

Win 11 Master
on the page before the login screen, click the power button
with shift key held down, click restart now
this will load advanced startup

see if same thing happens in safe mode:
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

I expect it won't though.. likely either a driver or another startup program at fault.

Any software updates recently?

See if you can set PC up for a clean boot while in safe mode: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows - careful to not turn off all Microsoft services.

what that does is shutsdown any non Microsoft programs at startup as it could be one of them conflicting with mouse. If it helps, slowly re add all your start up programs until you find the cause.

Solution