Question Legacy auido windows 10

Beans_93

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
I have a surround sound system connected to my PC via toslink. While the inbuilt 5.1 test in windows outputs correctly, when consuming media games, film, music whatever it only outputs 2.1

I asked for advice in a hi-fi store and was advised that the codec from my computer may not be comparable with an older surround sound system, and I should try to get windows to output legacy auido. Is this a thing and how do I go about this?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your speaker system? If you want to revert to analog connectectivity, you should be able to see audio inputs on the back of your speaker system(for multi channel audio input) and pair it with the rear analog audio output ports on the motherboard/sound card.

Might it be possible to state the make and model of your soundcard? If it's a built in audio solution, include the make and model of your motherboard. Also, which version of Windows 10 are you working with? You should also list the games you've tried for outputting multichannel audio as well as the content you're consuming.

Were you using the audio setup on a prior Windows installation, like that of Windows 7?

Beans_93

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2013
Hi Lutfij, thanks for replying.

The sound system is Sony BDV-E4100 1000 W no sound card, asus iv hero.

The full 5.1 works with a games console and my television box, just not in windows. However the inbuilt windows test proves that it's possible.