Question Legacy to UEFI and "please select proper boot device"

Dec 25, 2021
So I had the issue of not being able to use my keyboard to access bios (tried top left usb slot, usb 2.0, etc.) I figured I either had to switch it from legacy or reset the CMOS, and since I'm lazy I saw that the switch to UEFI seemed pretty painless so I did the command prompt executes and all. Then on reboot I have the "please select proper boot device." The only issue is that I still can't access the BIOS... Anyway I'm not too worried and think that I just have to get a PS2 keyboard or PS2 adapter and then I should be fine. Just wondering what your thought was? I didn't do any research cause I'm braindead before doing the switch and also did not create a backup cause I'm braindead, but as long as I can access the BIOS I should be able to select my SSD as the boot drive and everything should be there, as it was working before the switch.

Advice appreciated and happy holidays!

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
So I had the issue of not being able to use my keyboard to access bios (tried top left usb slot, usb 2.0, etc.) I figured I either had to switch it from legacy or reset the CMOS, and since I'm lazy I saw that the switch to UEFI seemed pretty painless so I did the command prompt executes and all. Then on reboot I have the "please select proper boot device." The only issue is that I still can't access the BIOS... Anyway I'm not too worried and think that I just have to get a PS2 keyboard or PS2 adapter and then I should be fine. Just wondering what your thought was? I didn't do any research cause I'm braindead before doing the switch and also did not create a backup cause I'm braindead, but as long as I can access the BIOS I should be able to select my SSD as the boot drive and everything should be there, as it was working before the switch.

Advice appreciated and happy holidays!
You must be switching modes from Legacy to UEFI to be able to install Windows 11.
That same problem was what many people encountered. You have to have a secure boot
from UEFI mode.
I monkeyed around and by trial & error discovered that putting in another HDD or SDD would somehow do the trick. A Windows 10 .iso clean install somehow made the difference and a bootable disk. Then putting the old one that had that error message back in and it worked. H.P. computers have that error message.
Now, in UEFI mode, enable secure boot. Look in System Information, to check that you have UEFI & secure boot enabled. Now it will say it supports these features.

Now try to download the .iso file for Windows 11 and with a DVD or USB installation it should not say that you cannot install Windows 11.

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
Please list exact steps you performed.
(1) I have a HP Elite 800 G2. So to get into bios, while restarting press F10. Page over to Advanced, and then secure boot configuration. You want Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Enable. You see the selection for Secure Boot Key Management? I only checked Enable MS UEFI CA key.
Does this give you the boot device error? It did to me, and I installed another HDD with a Windows10.iso that I put on a USB. Some how it corrected the boot problem and I tried the original HDD and somehow it did not have that error message.
(2) Come out of Advanced and go to Security, and you will see TPM
Embedded Security, then click on it and page down to TPM Device. Available, is what you want. Check the TPM State.

But you can do this in two stages and only do (1) for now.
Type in the bottom left for, System Information and check to see if you have a Secure Boot. Look to see if it is still Legacy or UEFI.
How about TPM state. Device Security and it should be Attestation ready and Storage ready, and then Core Isolation to be set on.
This is easier if your computer is not an old computer. If you have an old computer you may not have Attestation ready. It would be not ready or unsupported. Storage should be ready, and you can clear the TPM with another boot.
This is a nightmare that we are all going through, and if your computer is old you may not ever boot again unless you clear your bios by taking out your battery and pressing that bios clear button. On an old Asus I had that problem and gave up for now until you tell me exactly how to do that one.

TRENDING THREADS