[SOLVED] Legacy to UEFI, is it even worth it?

mangaman

Honorable
I've had legacy ever since I installed Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10 for a few years, but was wondering if the switch from legacy to uefi is even worth it.

My system is running just fine in the legacy mode, and I've always had a graphical user interface whenever going into the BIOS. I know legacy does not support drives larger than 2TB, but none of my internal drives are larger than that. I also know UEFI boots faster than legacy, but with the videos that I saw and with windows being on an SSD, the boot time might only be 2-6 seconds faster.

Also, users have been saying that UEFI is more secure as it supports secure boot, but with Windows 10 receiving better security updates and anti-viruses becoming more advanced, is it even worth it?

So should I convert my drive from MBR to GPT and use UEFI, or just continue using legacy until I build another computer or do a major upgrade such as going to Ryzen?

Solution
Windows should only be able to install on a GPT drive, but if you were able to install it on an MBR then I would leave your BIOS in legacy as converting over to GPT and UEFI can cause issues for boot-up at this point. When you're ready for your next upgrade I highly recommend going with UEFI and initializing the drive as GPT. Not only will it improve boot times but also prevent more errors and windows file corruptions along the way.
Windows should only be able to install on a GPT drive, but if you were able to install it on an MBR then I would leave your BIOS in legacy as converting over to GPT and UEFI can cause issues for boot-up at this point. When you're ready for your next upgrade I highly recommend going with UEFI and initializing the drive as GPT. Not only will it improve boot times but also prevent more errors and windows file corruptions along the way.

Solution

mangaman

Honorable

Thanks for the info. So not worth for my current system, since legacy is working just fine and converting MBR to GPT can cause errors.