legacy USB support - do it have it on my Pavilion laptop?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

I have been told to disable legacy USB support
on an older Pavilion laptop in order to correct
a problem with an external USB HD and Norton Ghost.

I have looked at all BIOS options and see nothing
about USB let alone legacy USB support. Does this mean
I don't have it and therefore no need to disable it?

The laptop is about 5 years old, an N3270 Pavilion.
In the past I looked for BIOS updates and never found
any. The current BIOS is by Insyde Software and is
Revision DE.M1.04

Dave Woolf
(remove NOSPAM from address if replying directly)

Dave Woolf wrote:

> I have been told to disable legacy USB support
> on an older Pavilion laptop in order to correct
> a problem with an external USB HD and Norton Ghost.
>
> I have looked at all BIOS options and see nothing
> about USB let alone legacy USB support. Does this mean
> I don't have it and therefore no need to disable it?

There's no need for USB legacy support in notebooks. USB legacy support
means that an USB keyboard and mouse will be used from the BIOS like legacy
devices (PS/2). This is necessary on desktop computers to be able to use an
USB keyboard and mouse with BIOS setup or operating systems that don't
support USB (WindowsNT, Solaris x86, etc). A notebook has a built-in
keyboard which is a legacy device, so there is no need for legacy support.
For sure Your BIOS doesn't have it at all...

Benjamin